MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of doing an engine swap on my 416. It's been modified quite a bit externally and I'v added a few tuning parts to the engine too. But, its just not powerful enough for the look it has now, what with the body kit and all that.

So, I've been thinking about a 2.0 litre turbo unit. I know its a lot of work and as well as the engine, gearbox and drive shafts, parts of the subframe and possibly the wiring loom need to be changed. The plan I'd considered involves buying the engine and gearbox and then an old 420 bubble and using parts from the car together with the new engine and gearbox ... and probably a big shoe horn, put it all together.

Is this a realistic plan? And realistic for two competent DIY mechanics? (I know and use a professional rover trained mechanic who can help at times if necessary) Has anyone tried this before? Are there any tricky bits I should know about or any parts I'd need to have fabricated etc?

Any help or ideas would be useful and greatfully recieved.

Joe

http://gallery.mg-rover.org/showphoto.php/photo/11857/cat/503

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Yes it's possible.

Search the site here and Rovertech and do your homework.

No-one is going to write you a how to, you will need to search out the main info and then ask specific questions when you get stuck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats cool. I wasn't really after a how to, more a case of is there anything special or extra that I'll be needing. Some people have mentioned I might need to fabricate mountings I wondered if the ones off a 420 would hold the turbo engine, specifically.

And yes I need to do more homework on it, this is one part of it.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts