MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear forum members,

Video regarding ticking issue

I’m currently experiencing an irritating issue with my MGF. The last couple of days the engine started making a ticking noise under all forms of acceleration, it starts ticking even when I give it very little throttle. Also starts squealing when I give it a bit more throttle.

I’ve checked the oil which was just under the low mark on the dipstick. I’ve since then topped it up with castrol half synthetic 10w40. Coolant was also just under the low mark haven’t had the chance to buy the right coolant yet but I’ll do that before driving again.
Both of these levels were fine a couple months ago when I had it serviced. Between then and now I’ve driven 9000 kilometers with the car.

If anyone has an idea what this might be I’d love to hear your input.

Also made a little video of the noise.

Kind regards,
Diar

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
The ticking sounds exhaust related - check the system thoroughly, including the manifold gasket.

The squealing was either your wiper blades or wiper motor.

You need to check your oil and coolant levels at least weekly…

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ticking sounds exhaust related - check the system thoroughly, including the manifold gasket.

The squealing was either your wiper blades or wiper motor.

You need to check your oil and coolant levels at least weekly…
Thank you for your reply it’s very appreciated.

I’m sure the squealing under moderate acceleration is different than from the wipers/wiper motor. I’m sure it’s coming from the engine bay. It’s also related to the amount of throttle and rpms of the engine. If I’m keeping constant speed there is no ticking, however if the engine is under any load it produces the ticking noise. The squealing only comes when I give it more than a little throttle. You can hear the squealing very clearly at 2:02 in the video.

Thanks for the tip regarding checking the fluid levels weekly I’ll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,155 Posts
With the amount of speed bumps in your area it could be something has shaken loose, I'd be tempted to take off the heat shield/engine cover and check all the connectors are in place and not loose.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,680 Posts
I would start off inspecting the alternator drive belt, the ticking sound seems to be similar to the one my car had when I forgot to retention the belt.

It would be worth removing the top cam cover and inspecting the timing belt and look for any coolant leaks around the water pump as a worn bearing can also make ticking noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts