MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 97 R reg Rover 216. It has previously had a HG failure but has been good for a couple of years now.

Ive noticed recently that the temp guage (which has always been very steady, just below midway) keeps going up a lot, and the fan has to keep working overtime to make sure everything keeps below red.

Just wondering what the likley cause of this might be? Blockage in the coolant pipes? Air filter needs changing? Thermostat?

Thanks all

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you've listed the obvious things above.

Also check the joggle valve in the timing belt end of the inlet manifold, as if that sticks then air can't be bled back to the expansion tank and will cause localised boiling of coolant in the engine.

The early models (yours and mine included) had very small waterways within the radiator, so it's possible that it's getting blocked.

Check the coolant pipes for heat both going into and out of the radiator, they should both get very hot even just under normal idling conditions.

Sounds to me like you've got either a sticking thermostat, stuck joggle valve or blocked radiator.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Ian.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts