MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I have picked up the new 96 White VVC (pictures to be posted) and it only has one key & fob. Now I know I can get another fob but it could well be cheaper to get a new ECU, alarm & matched fobs.

I also ask as the locking isn’t working correctly I.e. car locks but the lights don’t flash (I seem to remember they did) and I wander what else is not quite right....

So if I get myself a new ECU with matching Alarm unit & fobs is it just a straight swap and everything should work ok, or is their anything else I need to do? I’m hoping for a plug and play. The one I’m looking at has an ECU code of MKC104001 which looks correct for an early VVC.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,335 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Lucas remote fobs for the MGF are the same as the ones used for the bubble Rover 200/25 and bubble 400/45, and if so used/2nd hand fobs of this type can easily be programmed to your MGF and it would be far easier (and cheaper) than swapping the whole caboodle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.

I’ve just checked the number on the ECU & mine is a 103720, I guess an early one. If I were to remove this do I have to get another 103720, or can I have a 104001 with matching alarm unit and fobs.
The 104001 is out of a slightly later VVC MGF, still pre 200 though.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
As long as your VIN is below VIN YD522572 (pre-2000) you should be OK with the 104001. I assume that the only difference is updated firmware. On the outside, the two versions look exactly the same.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,335 Posts
If you just want a second fob, I would still recommend simply buying a used Lucas fob and getting it reprogrammed to your car. Be a lot cheaper, and save a lot of unnecessary swapping the units about.

I would not be convinced that the issue with the hazards not flashing is necessarily a fault in the 5as unit - more likely to be wiring related (bad connection, wire chafed somewhere) or possibly a faulty door switch?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If you just want a second fob, I would still recommend simply buying a used Lucas fob and getting it reprogrammed to your car. Be a lot cheaper, and save a lot of unnecessary swapping the units about.

I would not be convinced that the issue with the hazards not flashing is necessarily a fault in the 5as unit - more likely to be wiring related (bad connection, wire chafed somewhere) or possibly a faulty door switch?
Have to agree with above, the Lucas system wouldn't affect the lights flashing, second hand fobs can be picked up for as little as £5.00 if you can find someone local with a Pscan unit they could program it cheap or even for free (I do free if the person has a fob). a 1996 vvc shold also be able to use a 3txa fob which usually sell cheaper as they only work on the 1995-96 models.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,784 Posts
There are two versions of Lucas 5AS ECUs. Early version can accept 3TXA fobs and all later fobs, but this version do not provide hazards flashing since it does not have second white connector needed for that function.
Later Lucas 5AS version cannot accept 3TAX fobs, but only later versions 3TXB, 3TXC, 3TXD, 17TN. This version have white connector and can provide hazards flashing.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
There are two versions of Lucas 5AS ECUs. Early version can accept 3TXA fobs and all later fobs, but this version do not provide hazards flashing since it does not have second white connector needed for that function.
Later Lucas 5AS version cannot accept 3TAX fobs, but only later versions 3TXB, 3TXC, 3TXD, 17TN. This version have white connector and can provide hazards flashing.
I always wondered what the reason was why the 3txa didn't play with later models, thanks for info :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts