1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right, I've decided to write this for two reasons:

1) It's a very common question on here.
2) I've done it myself.

Why should you do it? Erm, actually if your happy with your 84ps 25, no reason at all. The car is still perfectly driveable.
If you should decide to go ahead and do this, TELL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Your about to add 20bhp to your car and if you don't tell them and your involved in an accident, your screwed, and so is the third party.
IT'S ALSO ILLEGAL.
So be a sport and tell them. Direct Line have had me down as 103bhp for the past 3 years I've owned the car, apparently, so me doing this made no change for me. You never know your luck.

You can download the whole thing in pdf format below.
Warning, apparently everyone else's cable's are shorter, not longer, so I'll ****.

20BHP please! <- click here! *Now back on line*

As a lot of people have asked, the final results should look something like this:

Cable follows the inner route of the cam.armature

The final version looks like this.

Throttle action - should be nice n smooth

Engine running

Enjoy!

If you find this guide useful, please show me some love and give me some rep.

Cheers,
25Exec.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
it's not for my car but you get rep from me anyway, good job :)

is there a way to do the mod when you have the bigger throttle body without the cable? is there a way to extend the old cable?

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly no, you need both, due to the length of the travel in the cable. I did try it with the short cable, couldn't get it past much more then a 2/4 open. Similarly, you can't just put the longer cable on either. There's a huge plastic wedge on the restricted body throttle arm. Hacking the wedge off wouldn't work either, be the same as using the wrong end of the unrestricted body.
As for extending the cable, possible, if you know the exact difference between the two, but how safe it'd be is anyones guess. Mine's wound on really tight, so the throttle is hyper sensetive, I'd hate to think what would happen if it gave way!
Kudos on giving me some rep though, just hope people will find it useful :)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm asking because my chances of finding a ZS cable here are ZERO, finding the TB from a 600 or 75 will be no problem though.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure that'll work mate....this only works for breathing life back into the 25 restricted models. Doubt it'll make a difference to your 416, should be full flow as it is.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not sure that'll work mate....this only works for breathing life back into the 25 restricted models. Doubt it'll make a difference to your 416, should be full flow as it is.
anyway of telling if my 214i 1999 is restricted? and by doing the swap would this benifit me with my exsisting air induction and cat sports exhaust?

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Swappin the TB to an alloy one from a plastic one won't make it any quicker. Might stop it sticking though.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just another update, today is my first real "drive" with the new system fitted, and boy, what a difference! Across the 30 mile hike to Solihull the car pulled soooo much cleaner and was very eager to press on, with me having to hold it back slightly, as opposed to strangling the engine with the throttle cable in a futile attempt to get more power down. 70mph comes in just under 3000rpm in fifth and there's a good inch or so peddle travel left at that. A gentle prod saw the rev's start to rise steadly without getting bogged down, and fuel economy seems a little better too, unless that's a placebo effect...I'll find out more as the week progresses.
The extra low down power is the nicest improvement of all, little work is needed to get up to third gear and from there on 30-70 is a breeze, with a lovley snarly sound as the engine progresses past the 3krpm mark.
All in all, well worth it.
My next project is to enhance the standard intake system by shifting the air intake point....need to see if I can nick a data logger over the weekend from work ;)

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Thanks for this !!! But from reading earlier posts on here I thought you could just hack the restricting block off and that would be it ? I've got the alloy TB on mine and I imagined all I would need is the throttle cable, any idea of the part number btw ?

Cheers,
Alistair.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to say it, but, hacking the wedge off wouldn't work, even if you used the longer cable, it's all down to where the cable connects to the arm on the throttle body. There's not enough travel in the pedal to make it possible.
I'm not sure on part numbers I'm afraid. If you looking to get one from xpart, they are £28.70 + VAT. Easiest bet is to take a cable from a larger capacity K series, like a 1.6 or 1.8 lump, or anything from a "real" ZR.
Personally I'd go the second hand route.
There are no companies that make spurious cables either :(

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Ahh I see ! In regards to second hand - would a TB from a 160 work ? and what sort of price should I be paying ?

Best!
Alistair.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup that'll do nicely :) I paid £20 all in from ebay, but dropped lucky as I don't think people were interested due to the fact it was from a k-series turbo from a 75. If your down a scrappy, no more then £25-30 tbh.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
This AND the modding page for "newbies" should definitely be made a sticky thread for the 200, 25 forum! Gets a bit tedious reading the same questions over and over.
I know there is already a link on how to do a 52mm TB conversion, maybe add that into your title or somewhere so that people know that this covers both subjects!
Great little guid tho, absolutely brilliant!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whats the part number for the Longer throttle Cable?! every dealer i went to said the throttle cables were the same size, but from what ive read i know one is longer but which one?! please help i would like the extra horses... thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have a clue on the part number mate, but trust me, they are a different length. Just ask for a cable for a ZR160. S'what I used :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hey 25Exec, your guide was pretty cool. For £20 I picked up a throttle body like the one in your pdf that has "use this hole for your cable" AND I got the original cable for it.

My 214 has the 42mm plastic TB.

Will I get the performance increase if I install this new TB?!?!???

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I've said before, it's only really for the limited 25 with the 83PS engine if you thought you'd get 20 BHP out of your 214 by doing this, I'm afraid your in for a let down. However, the 48mm alloy TB will give better response over the plastic one, but you don't need the cable.
Ebay it and recoup some of your money.

Just so I'm clear on this to the rest of the modding world.

This modification only works on 83ps Rover 25's. It will not work on any bubble 214's or R8 models.
If you own one, your car is not restricted by the throttle, because it's not restricted.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts