MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was selling my coupe but just decided to turbo the one i own just now.
I can find any 220T locally their all about 300+miles away and not willing to travel that far.
Thought 10 miles away from me i found an 820 Vitesse will a knackered box.
And am quite happy to gather the parts need for the conversion and know i will cost me and take quite a bit of time but don't really care.

i know about the transplant involving a 220T set up but what are all the differences would i encounter with an 820T engine/mounts/ecu ??

R

·
0 Posts
You'd need the mounts froma 220 Mk2 or 220 Coupe. All the engine bay wiring including ECU will be neededc - and if you look at the various bubble turbo conversions you won't go far wrong.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
just make sure its a 200 bhp and not a detuned turbo.

a rover turbo with a knackered box? what a suprise!! :D

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How would i know if it's a de-tuned 180bhp version

woman says it the gearbox/diff problem.
And am i right to get a 97 620ti gearbox as thats the strengthend one

any welding involved? or is that only for the bubble turbos.
can i use the 820's ECU?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,907 Posts
Don't forget, the good old MG Montego Turbo gearbox has exactly the same ratios and final drive as the Rover 220 turbo coupe. Apart from the differential (TorSen) they are identical. I have swapped a Torsen diff from a worn Turbo Coupe gearbox into a good used MG Montego Turbo Gold Label K7AR gearbox with perfect results. I have seen perfectly good MG Montego Gearboxes go for peanuts on ebay - and some well over a 100 notes. Keep an eye open for them. Worth getting if price is right even if you have no immediate need.

The early Montego gearboxes are the best to go for - they have steel caged bearings, not plastic like on the Rover versions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts