MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gearbox leak on a pg1 gearbox on the driver side driveshaft seal, the gearbox does make a slight rumbling noise and has done so for about a year, recently the oil leak started.
my question is will it be cured with a replacement seal or do I have to put a near bearing in the diff?

G

·
The seal should fix the leak but I doubt that it will do anything for the rumble - that's probably bearings.
The PG1 is pushed to the limit by te Vitesse - uprated bearings on the diff are a good idea.

G

·
Well done - glad to hear it worked out.

Now I have to decide whether or not to just do the seals on my Sterling and live witrh the noisy bearings or swap the whole box for the good used spare that I have.

Decisions, decisions.......

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Richard Moss said:
Well done - glad to hear it worked out.

Now I have to decide whether or not to just do the seals on my Sterling and live witrh the noisy bearings or swap the whole box for the good used spare that I have.

Decisions, decisions.......
Just got my PG1 back together after one of my diff bearings collapsed. Ive changed the driveshaft seals, mainshaft bearings and diff bearings. Its not a difficult job and i'm glad i've done it as it gave no warning that it was about to go.

My driveshaft seals did start to weep a little oil days before the bearing collapsed.

Its not a difficult job, I took my time and even 'gunked' the casings. The box is so smooth and there is no more mainshaft noise.

G

·
G13SJC said:
Just got my PG1 back together after one of my diff bearings collapsed. Ive changed the driveshaft seals, mainshaft bearings and diff bearings. Its not a difficult job and i'm glad i've done it as it gave no warning that it was about to go.

My driveshaft seals did start to weep a little oil days before the bearing collapsed.

Its not a difficult job, I took my time and even 'gunked' the casings. The box is so smooth and there is no more mainshaft noise.
I guess I'll probably fix the spare box up and install it all ready to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bearings

How much was the bearings?

how long did the job take as I want to replace the bearings on my pg1 aswell but have not done any gearbox work before, do you have to use any special tools?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts