MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
588 Posts
Do any of you lucky Rover 75 or MG ZT owners have the HK upgrade on your cars ?, If so would it be possible for some pictures of the parcel shelf, amp cover, amp ( if possible ), rear parcel shelf speakers ?.

Please
MGR Boy

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi,

I too am interested in this. Is that just a port that goes through to the boot or is the actual sub itself.

If it is just a port, is it possible to retro fit it to an existing shelf, or is a new shelf required? Any ideas on price of either?

I want to put a small sub in my boot (don't want big booming base but subtle than enhances music), prob 8" ref like

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=3752&cadid=2ba0b34b5b5034605c89060c30bfbc53

but am not sure if it will penetrate enough into the cabin, hence thinking of putting the port into shelf.

Any info/advice appreciated,

Ta,

Mike

·
Registered
rover_75
251 Posts
Mike: the HK sub enclosure hangs under the rear shelf and is ported directly into the cabin (as shown in Alex's pic) It has been known to retro-fit the HK system. You will need to cut a hole through the metal panel below the parcel shelf though. The enclosure itself is moulded plastic and contains two 6" (approx) drivers facing into the enclosure. The rear of the two speakers use the volume of the boot as a baffle. Don't know about price as mine was factory fitted. An Xpart dealer should be able to help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just bought a 2nd hand HK sub from Roverbreakers, cost me £75 + postage.

Bit confused by Astons comments about cutting a hole in the metal under the parcel shelf. If it's the metal bit you can see from the inside the boot (the whole panel that runs across the car) then mine has a grommet in the exact place the port will sit when fitting the sub, just remove it and the port fits perfectly. Unless there's something I'm missing :D

I'd luv to know if the actual parcel shelf is removeable though, looks like I might be needing a hole (and speaker cover) in that, removing it to cut it might be a tad easier.
I'm gonna try running the sub with no hole in the shelf and seeing what effect that has first.

·
Registered
rover_75
251 Posts
Grendel: Maybe my mind is going!!!

From memory, the parcel shelf on my first two 75's (non HK) was solid - no cut out when viewed from the boot (although I may be wrong). How big is the hole?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The hole is the perfect size for the sub port, almost like it was made for it (maybe the sub was designed to fit the hole?) All the other slots/fixing points are there, sub just sits in perfectly. You can put a finger or two through and actually push the (plastic feeling) parcel shelf slightly up (is it just secured by a couple of clips or screws?) As I said, the only thing is there won't actually be a hole in the shelf to help the sound through, but I'll see if this has a detrimental effect before I start gouging out the shelf!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi Grendel, which breakers did you use?

Also, how do you get the signal to the sub? Does the kit come with a different loom / amplifiers?

PS Is that a Marillion reference in your name?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks for the input on this, guys.

Will keep an eye out for reports on how you HK sub sounds (what size is that?) & check my boot to see if the underside of the shelf has a grommet in it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
JohnFol said:
Hi Grendel, which breakers did you use?
Used Roverbreakers, cost me £75, though just read another post (can't remember which forum), somebody else also got a sub from Roverbreakers for £50!

Also, how do you get the signal to the sub? Does the kit come with a different loom / amplifiers?

PS Is that a Marillion reference in your name?
You need to link the head unit via phono plugs to the amp, then wire the amp to the sub with ordinary speaker cable. You'll also need to run a fused power supply direct from the battery to power the amp. I bought an amp wiring kit from Halfords (£25), contains everything you need to rig up the system.

Yes, it is a Marillion reference, impressed that somebody noticed. You a fan?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mike VVC said:
Will keep an eye out for reports on how you HK sub sounds (what size is that?) & check my boot to see if the underside of the shelf has a grommet in it.
Mike, if the grommet is there you can't really miss it. It'll be in the centre of the panel and is about 2 inches wide, if you pop it out the sponge above it (under the parcel shelf) also has a hole cut in it the same size, presumably to suit the sub port.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Grendel, yes a fan from the old days, and yes I still shout it out at the concerts!

PS Can I presume that when you talk about phono connectors from the HU, you are taking about an after market unit.

Everyone else . .. Marbles. A better way of life!

·
Registered
135 Posts
JohnFol said:
PS Can I presume that when you talk about phono connectors from the HU, you are taking about an after market unit.
I have a factory-fitted Kenwood in my ZT, that has the phono (sometimes called RCA jacks) on the rear of the unit. It's those you need to connect to the sub input with suitable connecting cable.

PS I only shout the "Grendel" thing at the Fish gigs these days, think it p isses him off now!!:)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I have retro fitted the HK upgrade. All the threads about it are on the xpower site.

The grommet comes out and the sub then ports into the cabin.

However, you need to cut a hole in the physical parcel shelf (card/fabric) you can see from the cabin and put a grill in it like is shown in the photo.

The sub mounts by the lugs locating in the area behind the rear seats and you need to install a few plastic threads in the body. You then use bolts/screws to hols the sub up.

Matt.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just done mine too, had to use a couple of nuts & bolts to mount the thing as I couldn't get hold of the proper fixings anywhere (though my local MG dealer said they could probably order some in).

Haven't yet cut out the hole in the parcel shelf, wanted to hear the effect in the car without. It's kinda hard to tell, there's definitely an improvement in the low end frequencies (need to fine tune the amp settings), and the parcel shelf doesn't vibrate with, basically, the sound from the sub effectively banging right against it.

I'll probably end up cutting the hole once I've got hold of something suitable to cover it with, and see if that improves the sound even more, but overall I'm fairly happy with the improved tones at the moment. :D

Oh and by the way, if anyone is doing something similar and buys an amp wiring kit, make sure the kit has plenty of cable! I bought a kit from Halfords which had 5 metres of power cable, which I thought would be plenty. Turns out with the route I had to take with the wiring it was just barely enough, ideally would have liked an extra couple of feet but it's in anyway.

·
Registered
rover_75
209 Posts
Sorry to be a kill joy over Harmon Kardon, I had one factory fitted on my first 75 4dr excellent sound but went to go to airport on holiday with two Samsonite hard cases in the boot would not fit. Beware on a saloon reduces the boot depth vastly.

Malcolm

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Grendel said:
Just done mine too, had to use a couple of nuts & bolts to mount the thing as I couldn't get hold of the proper fixings anywhere (though my local MG dealer said they could probably order some in).

Haven't yet cut out the hole in the parcel shelf, wanted to hear the effect in the car without. It's kinda hard to tell, there's definitely an improvement in the low end frequencies (need to fine tune the amp settings), and the parcel shelf doesn't vibrate with, basically, the sound from the sub effectively banging right against it.

I'll probably end up cutting the hole once I've got hold of something suitable to cover it with, and see if that improves the sound even more, but overall I'm fairly happy with the improved tones at the moment. :D

Oh and by the way, if anyone is doing something similar and buys an amp wiring kit, make sure the kit has plenty of cable! I bought a kit from Halfords which had 5 metres of power cable, which I thought would be plenty. Turns out with the route I had to take with the wiring it was just barely enough, ideally would have liked an extra couple of feet but it's in anyway.

Get the Harmon/Kardon grille from a main stealer. It is available as a seperate part, so you can buy the grille on it's own, without the shelf.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good shout Matt, might see if my (now Citroen!) MGR dealer can get one in.

Re: earlier post about boot depth loss. Don't think it's THAT drastic, probably 4 or 5 inches max I'd say. I've got a rather large plastic box in my boot (full of "essentials", battery charger, anti-freeze etc) which I thought would have to come out once the sub was fitted, but it still sits in there quite comfortably even with the lowered boot space. A bit annoying in a way coz if it hadn't fitted then that would have been my excuse for binning half the junk in the box and getting rid of it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts