MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Can Anyone Tell Me A Rough Idea The Price For A Clutch Fittedto The 75 ,2.5 V6 Manual Thanks For Any Help

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Hi :)

Depending on where you live and whether you go to a dealer or independent it can cost from £380 up to £700. The final price will also depend on whether you need a new slave cylinder fitting or not.

hth

Mike :)

·
Registered
rover_75
73 Posts
Hi,
I had my clutch done by the main dealer when I got the car. It was well and truly knackered i.e slave ,master and flywheel all in need of replacement.This was done using original MGR parts and cost(wait for it) £980+VAT!! I also priced up a non-original(borg &beck I think) at £380 less the flywheel. But think carefully I was advised by a friend who is also a mechanic that because of the size and weight of (in particular the V6) 75 original parts are the way to go with clutches. Now that took some saying given my current 75 related woes!
Hope that helps

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Should not be to expensive if it is all done it one hit, still in the £100's though.
The previous owner of my car I think got duped in to doing first the master cylinder then the slave then the clutch all sepertely total cost about £1400 I think, no idea if it really needed doing in that order.

It is a weird world when you go to an expert and pay him to diagnose and repair a problem and then pay him more if he got it wrong

PS just like the wildly differing HGF quotes we see here the parts prices are relatively fixed it is the labour you are paying for and the times quoted should be no more than standard repair times which any MGR dealer should be able to tell you. I think however that a less experienced mechanic will end up taking longer and charging more

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had mine done at an ex-franchise garage, including a hire car. The Slave cylinder needed replacing (which is inside the gearbox), new fluid etc... Came to £680 (inc vat)...

It feels much nicer now anyway, even though i had to sell a kidney to pay for it, just have to sell my spleen to pay for a new inlet manifold now, any bids...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had my clutch replaced on the 2.5 a few months ago, around £900 with new flywheel, slave cylinder etc.
On the old clutch the biting point was almost at the top, took quite a while to get used to it, on the new clutch its between 1/3 & 1/2 way, making for a smoother clutch control & feels lighter, but that might be placebo effect

·
Registered
320 Posts
Keith Alexander said:
Define nicer?
is it still as heavy as before, just smoother in operation, has the bitting point moved to a more comfortable position?
My clutch had a horrible squeal when depressed before it was changed, and also was too heavy for my misus to use. Now, it's like butter, smooth, very responsive, was expensive but worth it...

Though, it did have an air lock. My brand new clutch got smoked the day after it was fitted, they sorted it, but i wasn't impressed. Make sure you use someone recommended (though, this was an ex-franchise, you think they would be good)...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts