MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
new to the forum and have a 75 diesel with starting problem it was fine and then drove about 300 metres and stopped, now it just turns over and eventually fires very briefly (couple of secs) and cuts straight out. I checked for water and found about an inch in the area under the ecu. Checked out the link to the tech area for the plenum drain information but it appears dead, does anyone have a later link ?

ps any advice on possible cause for the starting problem much appreciated

Tony

·
Registered
305 Posts
Don't know whether its the same problem but mine would start first time when cold but fail to start when warm. Just turn over but not fire. I had to put a new cam sensor on (£55.00). Starts everytime now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave this one refuses to start hot or cold, I've taken the inlet and outlet pipes off the fuel filter (in turn) and switched the ignition on there seems to be plenty of pressure from the pump so I guess the implies the diesel pumps ok ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many Thanks Mike

the drawings are spot on, I'll get busy, with it being a bank holiday it's bound to rain :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update

Have just checked plenum drain, it was partially blocked, now clear, have checked ecu this appears to be dry as a bone, there was only about an inch or two of water in there. Have also cleaned sensor on end of common rail, however still no joy. Does anyone no of a workshop still doing rovers in the durham area (north east england) ?

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally Sorted

Put the 75 into Mill Garages in Sunderland, the fault was traced to a faulty ECU, parted with my £800 car now back working.
sigh its only money

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Please try to make sure you get the old ECU back

Then give it a month or so before convincing yourself the fault has gone
If they have got it wrong then you have the chance of a refund against the new one.

After that if you fancy sending the duff one to me I will tear it apart and we can add it to the pics of bits you don't normally see thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts