MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Rover 75 Club SE CDT. Have had starting problems recently where it takes 3 or 4 attempts when the car is cold, or anything upto a 3 hr wait when the engine is hot. This was diagnosed as a faulty crankshaft sensor by my main dealer who replaced it.

The car has been fine for 2 or 3 days, but is now displaying the same symptoms. I am too worried to go on a journey where the engine is going to get hot and I have to travel 50 miles to work each day.

Any ideas what could be causing this, it would seem that the sensor could be the problem, but why would it go so quickly? I notice there was a product recall in 2000 - is this related. Mine was first registered in Mar 3003 and has done 72,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help - Martin

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
MartinDS said:
Hi,

I have a Rover 75 Club SE CDT. Have had starting problems recently where it takes 3 or 4 attempts when the car is cold, or anything upto a 3 hr wait when the engine is hot. This was diagnosed as a faulty crankshaft sensor by my main dealer who replaced it.

The car has been fine for 2 or 3 days, but is now displaying the same symptoms. I am too worried to go on a journey where the engine is going to get hot and I have to travel 50 miles to work each day.

Any ideas what could be causing this, it would seem that the sensor could be the problem, but why would it go so quickly? I notice there was a product recall in 2000 - is this related. Mine was first registered in Mar 3003 and has done 72,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help - Martin
I would first check your flux capacitor as it seems you have travelled back in time a long way.

·
Registered
rover_75
169 Posts
This is a long shot but since you are unlikely to get to the garage quickly because of the holiday, try switching the ignition on and off quickly in succession, say at least 30 or more times. Not totally sure, but it might help to clear a fault code.
You might also check to see how long the glow plug light stays on when switching the ignition switch on. It should be for several seconds when the engine is cold, and probably less than one second when engine is warmer.
Also check your fuel tank level. If less than say 1/4 to 1/2 full there could be a fuel pump problem, so try to get to a garage to fill up to more than 1/2 full and see if it helps. I believe the tank fuel pump is a weak point on certain years, mine is a 2001 and was fixed last year with a different later type of pump, along with other parts. Not sure if 2003 cars had the same problem, possibly so.
Regards,
Charlie Hall

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 75 club se. It just wouldn't start when the engine was warm. I was advised it might be the crankshaft sensor but I had a diagnostic thingy connected up by the nice AA man and it reported that it was the camshaft sensor. I replaced this and the car has not let me down since. Sensor was about £55.00 and dead easy to fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DaveyDave said:
I had a similar problem with my 75 club se. It just wouldn't start when the engine was warm. I was advised it might be the crankshaft sensor but I had a diagnostic thingy connected up by the nice AA man and it reported that it was the camshaft sensor. I replaced this and the car has not let me down since. Sensor was about £55.00 and dead easy to fit.
Unfortunately, the main dealer has fitted a new one, worked fine for a few days, but it is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
CAMSHAFT sensor causes starting problems and seems to less reliable than the crankshaft sensor.

Its only used during start up to synchronise the timing, so if the car runs fine once started, then it points to the camshaft sensor and NOT the crankshaft sensor. (The dealer should have known this, unfortunately, many of them rely totally on what the diagnostics tell them and never seem to learn from experience!)

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts