MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the subject of crankshaft pulley bolts has been mentioned several times throughout the forums but I thought I'd put my tuppence worth in.
Last Saturday I used a 60cm breaker bar on the pulley bolt and broke two good quality 22mm sockets (I didn't know I had the strength!) and still it wouldn't move. This was a seriously tight bolt.
I noticed that several people were sceptical about 12v impact wrenches but I went out and bought one anyway to give it a try (even if it didn't work I could always sell it on E-bay) along with some impact sockets.
Although I wasn't confident it would work, I tried the 12v wrench today and had the pulley off in less than 15 seconds! That was with the vehicle in neutral, without locking the flywheel, and without anybody standing on the brakes.
It was so simple, easy, and quick, that my advice to anybody trying to get the pulley off is to buy a 12v impact wrench - a great tool and the best £25 I've spent lately.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks curriemart. I've always trusted in the breaker bar and socket, but I have to confess that I haven’t had to crack a crankshaft pulley nut in the last couple of years – and even then, never considered a 12v impact!
I’m off to get one today. You can never have too many tools!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always succeeded in the past using the bar and socket method on various cars but now, I'm a complete convert to the impact wrench method. The beauty is that you can do the job without requiring assistance from a friend to stand on the brakes and you don't even need to lock the crankshaft.
Quick and painless!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts