MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be a pain I have been looking at all the other threads about starting problems but here is my prob. Car rover 75 2.oL v6 Petrol 18000 miles no problems until today I drove home from work car ran fantastic parked up ! hour late went out started first time drove 400 yards then just cut out I pulled over tryed to restart no go Ihave tryed several times over the last 4 hours engine turns ok radio and lights work but will not fire.loads of fuel battery seems ok no fuse gone. Hope some one can help have seen the post's about cam sensors!!. could be this
ps Remember a few times car has cut out at junctions thought it was my driving but then allways started first time after.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Fuel Filter coming apart, fuel system looses pressure, car wont start.

Fuel filter access under rear seat cusion, nearside, and I understand its about 45 minute job to gain access, screw filter together again, and refit.

There is a clip available at X Part dealers for £5 to stop the filter unscrewing itself again.

\if you do a search on 'Fuel Filter' you should come up with some better instructions than mine !!

Dont think it would cam sensor as if I understand things right that would only give a problem when you came to start the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

Well here goes had the spark plug out we have a spark, had a look at the filter it seems intact, we have fuel in the engine bay on turning the key and have swaped the relay under the bonet with the one for the fan, also have checked the fueses and they seem ok. its been 18hrs now since it cut out and it will not start. Im running out of ideas as I'm not a member of a breakdown sirvice but was concidering it before the caravan season started If I call them and become a member how long would it be before they would come out to me the car is about a mile away at the inlaws house.
All the Best Alan

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Could you have flattened the battery a bit by the attempted starts ??

75's are a bit sensitive to battery voltage. If the battery gets too low, although the lights and other things may work, the computers wont boot up and the car is prevented from starting

Just an outside chance

Good luck

PS I think if you join the AA they will come out immediately cos you are then a member. Cant say for others

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No battery seems ok jus wondering if the fuel filter is not intact would you still get fuel at the engine but the fact that it may not be presurised would stop it from starting

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If fuel filter is partially unsrewed then it probably would affect the fuel pressure.

Think you have also have to be carefull of the sealing rings on the filter as they can get out of place when you replace unit in car. Could give the same effect - low pressure.

Re the battery the headlights are not comimg on when you try to start the car are they ?? Thats usually a sign of battery in poor condition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YES had a go this morning unscrewed the retaining coller lifted the filter out at first I didn't think it was going to be the problem but after giving it a bit of a twist it then cliked into place. Reseated it on the seal placed the coller back put the key in and turned WOW started . Puting the rear seat was not to much trouble. A BIG thanks to this forum and especialy Dave for the help hope I get the chance to pass on this information to others.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Glad it all works.

Now you need to get the clip to prevent the filter unscrewing again - cos it will eventually.

Coloured Orange the clip is available from X Part dealers for about £5.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thought mine was ok but you realy have to make sure it is locked and you have put the rubber ring back ok

1 - 10 of 10 Posts