Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok peeps, need advice
ill run thru the reqd info first!

'X' regd rover 75
2 litre v6
saloon
manual
petrol

ive noticed that the clutch pedal now bites within an inch of the bottom instead of at the top , there seems to be a large amount of slack pedal movement before it does bite (floppy pedal syndrome).
it still works normally with no slipping.
any ideas to what is the problem , mind you i do have good idea to the problem but i prefer a second opinion to confirm the worst!!!!
any one know roughly how much its gonna cost?
also coventry based, so somewhere near is a good idea!
im still living in hope that the pixies will fix overnight for me hahahahahahahahah
cheers
steve

·
Registered
193 Posts
Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. Fairly good bet that the clutch master cylinder is leaking and has let air into the system. The cylinder is located above the clutch pedal, under the dash, so check the carpets under the clutch and see if there is any brake fluid that has dripped down.
New cylinder is about £150.
Reasonably straightforward job to change.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
A few possibities. First is that your clutch is just getting worn out, but if this change happened quickly, this is less likely. That leaves the hydraulics. Could be the master or slave cylinder is leaking or it could do with bleeding. Do a search for clutch bleeding, not terribly difficult, just bloody awkward. It has worked for some people and is probably worth a shot as it will be far cheaper than replacing the clutch/hydraulics, even if you get a garage to do it.

·
Banned
0 Posts
i had the same problem only a few weeks ago, its probably the master cylinder, you could check this by pulling the carpet back under the pedals and if it is a greasy feel of fluid in your fingers then your master cylinder needs replacing these cost around £150 to buy and then labour on top. a temporary measure is to have the cylinder refilled and the system bled this may last a fe weeks untill you can get it sorted or funds allow.

hth

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my love affair with my 75 continues then!
the worst case was billed at about £500,
so come first light ill be on me knees checking for fluid!

·
Registered
113 Posts
if you need a clutch i have one i bought it brandnew to fit my 75 kv6 but did not fit it due to a ztt turning up it cost me £100 if you want it make me a reasonable offer and i will send it to you .hope you dont need it but its there if you do

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers everybody for some sound advice,
ive checked under the carpets and there is nothing at all!!??
alls clean and tidy plus also the clutch seems to be 'feeling' right today?!
cannot figure it out might just get a garage to check the fluid levels, either that or a poss air lock.
but as its working well still ill stick to my motto of ''if it aint broke then dont fix it!''
cheers also to andy willi it looks like the clutch is not reqd *crosses fingers and hopes*, but again thanks to all who offered advice in my moment of crisis hahaahahah, im sure more will come my way
cheers steve

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Just a quick point regarding this issue...

I have a 260, and experienced similar issues recently. New master cylinder was the cheapest of the three potential causes (all in £450). However the problem has re-occurred.

The other two options were the slave cylinder and the clutch itself (springs).

The slave cylinder is located inside the bell housing, so you may as well get both done at the same time - cost £1050.00! It's a 12 hour job involving dropping the engine out sadly. I was told that a clutch on a V6 is similar money (circa £900.00)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well today's the day........

well today's the day the clutch has decided that its not playing any more!!!!!
coming home from work last night i had trouble getting it into any gear at first then after a bit of not good sounding crunching it worked ok.
but this morning i decided i aint chancing a 50 mile trip to work.
i can engage any gear i want to while the engine is off , if i try to start it in gear with the clutch engaged it wants to go thru the brick wall infront of me (not good idea, just had it rebuilt at a cost of £500!)
can hear air when pedal is depressed so i assume the fluid has gone, ill try to quick fix it with a refill of fluid first
have been quoted £395 fitted for the clutch and slave cylinder, its about the cheapest quote ive had , so now its time to go out and pimp my soul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to all

just a quick thanks to all who have written within these web pages.
cannot remember any names cos ive looked thru so many 75 clutch problems!!
but a big thanks to all of those who have replied with ideas on fixing it,
ive spent the day contorted in all shapes and sizes to bleed the clutch,
right pain in the rear i can tell you.
but the clutch now works correctly at least for now , this way i can now see wether the clutch is leaking or just the fluid was knackered!
cheers to all
steve

·
Registered
430 Posts
Steve,

I notice you live in Coventry.

Lates is based in Coventry www.lates600.com.

He posts on the forum and I'm sure he will be worth a try.

I had our last Freelander clutch changed in Birmingham for $250 last year so you price seems fair.

AL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the link to lates, didnt know about them!
one thing i will mention tho is the fact, fun and bullsh*t ive had to put up with from differant places locally.
since ive bled my clutch ive had no problems , so i can only assume that the clutch fluid just needed changing!
when i went into a few places i asked them about my clutch
its worth a try just to see them squirm on the spot!
try this one for starters
Q. my pedal has 'fell' what can be done?
A. nothing mate , you need a new clutch, they are sealed units you see
Q. ok, if its a sealed unit , then how do you get the master cylinder thru the small hole in the bulkhead??
or even better , how do you get the clutch in , in one go with it being a sealed unit?
A. squirms then babbles c**p
Q.if its a sealed unit , then why does the cylinder have a screw top and there is a bleed nipple upon the engine????
A. squirms and babbles c**p

dont forget that it uses the same fluid as your brakes and they recommand that you get it changed every two years, but your clutch is a sealed unit and never checked .
either way it only cost me a days holiday and £8.00 to fix my clutch
and 50p of that was buying a small syringe from a local chemist to fill the master cylinder up!
people its worth doing it yourself , as then if it does drop again then you do know that you have a problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts