MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 75 CDTi clutch works fine, doesn't slip, maybe judders a tad, but not clutch slip, it does however go through sporadic bouts of squealing, normally going silent whenever within 20 miles of an MGR dealer.

Anyway, I believe that this is a recall, or rather updated clutch to be put on them, but also believe that its only year 1 on the warranty that covers clutch friction plate.

questions:

1) is this the friction plate?
2) is it the subject of a warranty repair/upgrade/recall whatever
3) if not, just how much exactly?

Cheers

CAM

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Yes, from what I can gather there is/was a 'problem' with some clutch plates on diesel 75's - noise being the one here.

Can't se why it shouldn't be covered for a known issue in years 2 & 3

Sounds like someones been feeding you BS, CAM!

·
Registered
mg_zt
111 Posts
Hi my clutch on zt cdti was replaced under warranty at 18000 and started slipping again at 20000 ish. I was told one clutch is replacedunder warranty and any more need to be done under parts warranty after many attepmts at proving to dealer it still slips ( usual bhaves well within rover dealer area) it is to be fixed ate end of month.

·
Registered
71 Posts
my clutch was done under warranty (1.8t ZT (late 2003 early 2004 cars of both diesel and k series both seem to suffer))

They tend not to do the plate as it is the cover that is the fault- they should do the cover without complaint as this is not a friction lining.

Get them to check the plate while it's out and if it is badly worn then cry foul and ask for that to be replaced too- they might argue the toss but the max I'd expect to pay for is the cost of the plate with no labour (they've got the bits off anyway!!)

If they do that then ask to see the plate of course (I'm not suggesting they'd try and get you to buy a clutch plate when you didn't need one....oh no, never!)

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
CAM4V said:
I believe that this is a recall, or rather updated clutch to be put on them, but also believe that its only year 1 on the warranty that covers clutch friction plate.
I think it is too, had two done in the last year (seperate 75s). If its a known action (that of squeeling) then you'd have thought it'd be covered in subsequent years. If you need to demonstrate it, find a steep slope, rev to between 2&3K let the clutch out and let it squeel! Or just find another dealer...

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
marko123 said:
They tend not to do the plate as it is the cover that is the fault- they should do the cover without complaint as this is not a friction lining.
Eh, cover for what? I seem to disctinctly seem to remember hearing (not to mention being told that my clutch would need to be replaced) that it was the friction lining that was causing it to be noisy, which would make sense as it gets worse under load...

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Major Ingram said:
Sounds like someones been feeding you BS, CAM!

Would not be the first time Major, and guess it won't be the last! Must be my look of youthful innocence!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded, another series of good replies, and answered my question perfectly.

I shall make a journey to my dealer (35 miles away) next time I take some days off and let them hear it.

Thanks again.

CAM

·
Registered
71 Posts
hi r447

clutch cover- clutch assembly has a plate and cover. cover sits against the plate all the time but is diengaged when you press the clutch in (diaphram spring releases it away from the plate-

MGR mechanic told me that these faulty plates make a groaning sound because they rotate slightly (they shouldn't) but that they tend not to knacker the clutch friction surface (the plate) unless drivers have tried to slip the clutch a lot to counteract this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.