MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75 CDT Touring (2001) has Xenon Headlights, which according to the handbook means that it also has some form of self levelling.

On the assumption that the self levelling is not within the h/light mechanism, that presumably means that it has self levelling suspension.

If that is the case then should it have the 50A fusible link in the engine compartment fuse box that is ( according to the legend on the fuse box) for self levelling suspension??

sandbar
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
sandbar said:
My 75 CDT Touring (2001) has Xenon Headlights, which according to the handbook means that it also has some form of self levelling.

On the assumption that the self levelling is not within the h/light mechanism, that presumably means that it has self levelling suspension.

If that is the case then should it have the 50A fusible link in the engine compartment fuse box that is ( according to the legend on the fuse box) for self levelling suspension??

sandbar
Not self levelling suspension,it means the headlights will automatic adjust its level,depends on the load in the boot,to prevent glaring on coming traffic....
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
549 Posts
The fuse for self levelling suspension is for the option on the Tourer I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
The levelling motor is built into the headlight unit itself. The automatic adjustment on HID models is governed by a sensor in the rear suspension. It won't have self levelling suspension unless this was specified as an option, in which case the headlight motos won't have much to do!

Other models have a manual thumbwheel on the light control module.

I recently fitted xenon units to my Mk1 tourer and very ggod they are too. And no, a) its not illegal, and b) it won't fail an MOT if correctly adjusted.
 

·
Registered
mgb
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
Self levelling suspension is purely mechanical/hydraulic, it is just different rear shock absorbers. Nothing electrical at all. The legend on the fuse box means something else.
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
86 Posts
subman said:
The levelling motor is built into the headlight unit itself. The automatic adjustment on HID models is governed by a sensor in the rear suspension. It won't have self levelling suspension unless this was specified as an option, in which case the headlight motos won't have much to do!

Other models have a manual thumbwheel on the light control module.

I recently fitted xenon units to my Mk1 tourer and very ggod they are too. And no, a) its not illegal, and b) it won't fail an MOT if correctly adjusted.
I asked this a while ago and got no replies.So the Xenon lamps are a definate improvement then? Easy to fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
knight_templar said:
I asked this a while ago and got no replies.So the Xenon lamps are a definate improvement then? Easy to fit?
The tricky part is removing the front bumper - specifically separating the sides from the front wings - otherwise pretty straightforward. It's just one of those things that needs a 'knack'. took about an hour the swap them over, plus a bit of adjustment using a ruler to set the correct beam angle. I'd marked the old beam level on the garage wall before the swap which helped a bit!

The main reason I changed was that I was going through Osram Silverstars at the rate of 2 sets every winter with the lights on for 4hrs a day. From the limited use I have had of the car at night recently, they are very good. Although I don't have the headlight washers I have never found these to be very effective on other cars (wipers would be better) - they just make the muck wet. As the lenses won't get as hot as with normal incandescent bulbs, and the beam is more concentrated through the glass, I'm hoping the beam won't degrade as they get dirty, if you know what I mean..

The abrupt cut-off takes a bit of getting used to.

Main reason for change is that they 'only' cost £220..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
79,177 Posts
Subman - you fitted an aftermarket HID kit?

Good aren't they? I've just fitted one to my A4, very easy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Dr Dave - no mine were pukka Rover HID/xenon headlight units. I did consider the aftermarket ones, but then along came a set of the proper ones on ebay....
 

·
Registered
mgb
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
sandbar said:
What does it mean??? Enquiring minds need to know!!!!!

sandbar
I think you mean the missing fusible link 5. It is not used for any 75/ZT's
It may be the fuse box was used by or considered for other MGR models that had adjustable suspension. (again, different to self levelling) The only vehicle that I know that had it as a factory option was the LDV Convoy mini bus.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top