MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My ZTT 135+ cdti wont start! 53 plate 62k

Drove home other night parked her up at home, next day would not start. Turns over and over but no fireing, glow lights come in and out etc.

After reading the forum i have checked a few things.

Plenum fingy. i do park under a tree and know this to be a proble although i have not checked it for a while. Now threre was water in section closest to the wing NS. But there is a plastic divider between wing and ecu compartment. cleared hole water drained. I removed the cover over ecu signs of a little water had been there in the bottom but not a vast pool covering the ecu. Checked ECU bone dry no signs of water anywhere. The pollen filter also dry. I guess we eliminate flooded ecu.

Pumps, checked under rear seat can hear pump running with ignition, also engine pump running the same. Removed pipe from top of fuel filter and diesel is pumping through on turnover. Loosened injector pipe nut (with care) on turnover and without diesel can be seen comming out. So i am guessing its not a fuel issue??

i have removed and reconnected any connectors on engine e.g of end of common rail sensor, ecu connectors.

Q`s

Does the pumps have to give a certain pressure or is just diesel flowing to the filter etc enough as the common rail bit will do the pressure? (fuel tank and pump b4 fuel filter)

previous problems / history

the car did break down on me 6 months ago, on a journey back from derby came of a round about and engine just cut out. Would not start. AA towed me backto stoke got it off low loader and it started.

3 miles down the road cut out again. after a few mins it started and i got it home. The next day it started and i drove it Dales in Stoke on Trent for diag. Once i parked it up did not start again and would not.

They ran diag and said it was a prob with the injectors a common fault with bmw 2.0 diesel. They wear and let air back in. They said new injectors or they could replace nozels etc for £400 much cheaper solution. They did it run sweet untill now. Just as a note had MOT done last week guy said it was the cleanest emissions he had ever tested, not sure weather that helps or not.

Could this be the same problem? but that problem would allow starting after a while with persistant trying.

Had the car 12months this is the 2nd major breakdown.

please help

·
Registered
6 Posts
did you cure your starting problem

Hi ZTTBoy. I have experienced similar problems to you. Car has randomly given starting problem over last 2 months. Changed the battery 4 weeks ago and problem appeared cured. Had alternator tested to ensure system was charging correctly,all fine. Yesterday car failed to start. Pressed immobilizer/car unlock on keyring until back door locks opened, reinserted key and car started fine. Today car cut out when driving. RAC man couldn't get it started. said rear fuel pump fine as he had the seat out. Fuel arriving and exiting pump near battery. Cracked open one of the fuel lines near one of the injectors, fuel arriving when engine ignition on. Glow relay light comes on and goes off on dash. Engine management light clears on dash on turning ignition, but then appears after 1-2 seconds when cranking fails to start. Had a new ECU18 months ago and injectors overhauled 1 year ago. Had new fuel pump in rear tank 2 years ago. Bloody thing driving me crazy!!! Did you cure your problem as it sounds very very similar to mine.
Would be gratfeul for reply, from anybody with similar problems

·
Registered
5 Posts
Austy

Hi had the same problem on my 75 cdt booked it in to Diesco for a test but whilst waiting I tried half a bottle of Millers fuel additive.When I got it started again I slowly built revs up to 5000 gave it a good go took it for a long run.That was 3 months ago still running great.Might not work in yours but wont cost a lot to give it a go. Austy

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Could be a cam sensor problem? Only real way to check is to replace it and see if it makes a difference as far as I know though.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Buy a can of Easy Start and spray some into the air intake.

If the engine fires up and keeps running its a fuel issue.

If not, its electrical - often its the cam sensor that fails but could be crank sensor (watch the tacho when cranking if it doesn't budge it could be crank sensor)

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
re - rover 75 cdt starting problems

hi, can you help, i have a rover 75 cdt and it wont start. i have just had the rac out, the fuel pump under the seat is not working as you turn the car over, but it does when he bypasses it. i have already had 1 ecu fitted, and the passenger footwell is wet thru, could it be the ecu again and if so, can i take it off myself to try and dry it out/clear the drain holes?
many thanx

Hi Guys,

My ZTT 135+ cdti wont start! 53 plate 62k

Drove home other night parked her up at home, next day would not start. Turns over and over but no fireing, glow lights come in and out etc.

After reading the forum i have checked a few things.

Plenum fingy. i do park under a tree and know this to be a proble although i have not checked it for a while. Now threre was water in section closest to the wing NS. But there is a plastic divider between wing and ecu compartment. cleared hole water drained. I removed the cover over ecu signs of a little water had been there in the bottom but not a vast pool covering the ecu. Checked ECU bone dry no signs of water anywhere. The pollen filter also dry. I guess we eliminate flooded ecu.

Pumps, checked under rear seat can hear pump running with ignition, also engine pump running the same. Removed pipe from top of fuel filter and diesel is pumping through on turnover. Loosened injector pipe nut (with care) on turnover and without diesel can be seen comming out. So i am guessing its not a fuel issue??

i have removed and reconnected any connectors on engine e.g of end of common rail sensor, ecu connectors.

Q`s

Does the pumps have to give a certain pressure or is just diesel flowing to the filter etc enough as the common rail bit will do the pressure? (fuel tank and pump b4 fuel filter)

previous problems / history

the car did break down on me 6 months ago, on a journey back from derby came of a round about and engine just cut out. Would not start. AA towed me backto stoke got it off low loader and it started.

3 miles down the road cut out again. after a few mins it started and i got it home. The next day it started and i drove it Dales in Stoke on Trent for diag. Once i parked it up did not start again and would not.

They ran diag and said it was a prob with the injectors a common fault with bmw 2.0 diesel. They wear and let air back in. They said new injectors or they could replace nozels etc for £400 much cheaper solution. They did it run sweet untill now. Just as a note had MOT done last week guy said it was the cleanest emissions he had ever tested, not sure weather that helps or not.

Could this be the same problem? but that problem would allow starting after a while with persistant trying.

Had the car 12months this is the 2nd major breakdown.

please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, I have a 75 CDT and it has all the same problems. Fuel pumps ECU, CAM Sensor all replaced by a garage in the last 4 weeks and they still have the car and cant get it to run for more than 15 minutes. I think they have come to the end of things to try next. In the mean time I am walkin. Would appreciate if you let me know the outcome so I can pass it on to my garage.
Decent Dave

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Hi there, I have a 75 CDT and it has all the same problems. Fuel pumps ECU, CAM Sensor all replaced by a garage in the last 4 weeks and they still have the car and cant get it to run for more than 15 minutes. I think they have come to the end of things to try next. In the mean time I am walkin. Would appreciate if you let me know the outcome so I can pass it on to my garage.
Decent Dave
The injectors need to be removed and sent to Alan at Lynxdiesels.com for testing.
After the cam sensor and electric pumps, it is these.
The HP pump and ecu rarely give problems (unless ecu has got wet due to blocked plenum drain)

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts