MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

ok i have put my name down for the 75 meet in 3 weeks time but before then i want to get some new wheels and tyres :)

so any help as to type and size of wheel and tyre, i have looked around the form and i like the look of the "Straghts" but will they suit a 75 ? , i like the idea of 17" to fill the arches a bit better but im lost on tyre sizes.

Any links pictures you can point me to :)

Thanks all

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Hi Andy

Here are a few alternatives:

Picture 1: 17" Meteor
Picture 2: 16" Union
Picture 3: 17" Serpent
Picture 4: 18" Hairpins
Picture 5: 18" Straights

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fast work ian :)

ok it's down to Meteor or Straights i take it they both come in 17" any ideas on tyre config ?

/wonders over to ebay

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
The Straights are 18" for the ZT. They do produce 17" Straights for the ZR and ZS, but unfortunately, the stud pattern to bolt them onto the hub don't match for the 75/ZT. The 75/ZT is a five stud hub, whereas the 25/45/ZR/ZS is a four stud hub.

The Tyres for the 18" are 225/45/R18, and 17" are 215/50/R17, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot for your advice Ian :URGOD: now if you want to earn a :beer2: you could point me to some good sites"cheap" that sell them.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Alloys

Do the bigger rims fill the arches more ? As I understand it as rim size goes up sidewall height comes down so diameter remains the same. If not your speedo would be out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
IanRobertson said:
The Tyres for the 18" are 225/45/R18, and 17" are 215/50/R17, IIRC.
Hi Ian

I have 225/45/ZR17 conti's on 17" Serpents. Is that right or should they be 215/50/R17 as you state above (I'm confused!)

Rob

·
Registered
165 Posts
crofts said:
Do the bigger rims fill the arches more ? As I understand it as rim size goes up sidewall height comes down so diameter remains the same. If not your speedo would be out.
Yeah, ditto from me too, is this the case?

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
ROB75 said:
Hi Ian

I have 225/45/ZR17 conti's on 17" Serpents. Is that right or should they be 215/50/R17 as you state above (I'm confused!)

Rob
Hi Rob

Either is fine.

Originally Rover specified 225/45/17 on 17" Alloy Wheels, however, latterly, they have revised the recommendations to 215/50/17.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cheers Ian
That's what I love about this forum, there is usually an informed expert just around the corner to give you a super quick answer!

Presumably it would best to have the same size tyres on the front and back and not mix and match the sizes you have given. Also, which would be a cheaper / better size or would they both be on a par?

Rob

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
From a quick search, it seems that the 225/45/17's are cheaper. Personally, I would keep all tyre sizes exactly the same all round.

·
Registered
99 Posts
IanRobertson said:
From a quick search, it seems that the 225/45/17's are cheaper. Personally, I would keep all tyre sizes exactly the same all round.
Thanks again Ian, I would keep sizes the same aswell. Glad the 225's probably work out cheaper.

Rob

·
Registered
5,472 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
For appearance, predictable handling, and to make it look like you care, I'd keep the same type/manufacturer of tyre all round.

Nothing looks worse than a mixture of tyres on a car!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
still searching :err: thanks for the links and help guys. i should get some in time for the next 75 meet :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts