MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
think my car is rev-in higher at 70 in 5th then it used to, atm its about 3600rpm at 70 in 5th, what does everyone else get?

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
It is about the same for my 216 coupe.

Nothing to worry about i don't think.

£25 i get about 155 miles, which isn't to bad, but not the best by a long way

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure it used to be 3200, oh well, thats not bad for 25 quid lol, just been to a BP garage, started putting in BP Ultimate (As I usually do, plus there unleaded pumps were out of order), then looked at the price, 92.9p a litre :doh:

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
MY 1997 420GSi sat at a smudge over 3k at 70mph...3600 to me seems high(ish) for a 420i, might be wrong though!

Haven't put on aftermarket, or different wheels/tyres have you?

CAM

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have recently, but it was happening before, car had the same type of tyres that it had orignally before I put the new wheels on, 195 55 R15 V

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
yup, 195/55 15's was the size on my 420 too. Hmmmmm!

Don't know, maybe its supposed to be that low geared, but funny you remember it to be geared much the same as my 420 was...

Maybe a daft question, but are you doing 70? i know thats what the speedo says, but where does it get its info from? is it cable driven, or electronic, is it possible its out? I'd get a mate to come out with you, follow him at what he says is 70 by his speedo. and see what your says.

Clutching at straws I know, but its the only thing I can think of!

CAM

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep that was with a mate as well

wierd, come to think of it, might have been when I had the gearbox replaced (should really pay more attention)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
santa20 said:
Yep that was with a mate as well

wierd, come to think of it, might have been when I had the gearbox replaced (should really pay more attention)
You've answered your own question I think!

The new gearbox has a different diff ratio in it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SO no easy way of sorting it then replacing it, why would the gearbox have a different ratio in it?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
santa20 said:
SO no easy way of sorting it then replacing it, why would the gearbox have a different ratio in it?
Presumably, it wasn't from a 420, maybe from a 416 which would have lower diff or top gear ratio.
At least you should have quicker top gear acceleration, (at the expense of worse fuel consumption).

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
This was discussed a while ago regarding MK2 214 vs 251.4 -- the 25 runs at ~3,100RPM at 70 and the Mk2 at ~3,500.

It seems at some point Rover have changed the final drive ratio..

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
if it was a pro job take it back and tell them :doh:

they should replace it with one with the right final drive ratio.

3600 at 70 is way to high for any 2.0L :bigeyes:

Or keep it, if you reving higher that mean's your 0-60 could be improved, at the espense of a lot of petrol though!!! :sick:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol like petrol to stay in the car, its been in the car over 12months now :( so doubt they would sort it, they are a large chain of auto centres (doubt I'm allowed to name and shame), thought the 416 used a different box?

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
santa20 said:
lol like petrol to stay in the car, its been in the car over 12months now :( so doubt they would sort it, they are a large chain of auto centres (doubt I'm allowed to name and shame), thought the 416 used a different box?

You are correct, the 416 DOES use a different box.

The 416 uses an R65 gearbox.

The 420 uses a PG1, found in the Maestro 2.0EFi, Turbo and Diesel (and some 1.6), the Montego 2.0 (petrol and diesel) and some 1.6's, the Rover 820 Mk1 & 2 including Turbo, the Rover 220 (including Turbo) Mk2 and 420 (Including Turbo) Mk1 , the 420 Mk2, the 620 Ti, the 220D Mk3, the 25 Diesel, the 420D Mk2 and the 45 diesel, oh and the 25 1.8, the MG ZR 120 & 160, MG ZS 120. and ALL MG F/TF's.

All had differing Differential ratios, but most would fit straight onto your car, as all the 2.0s (including diesels) basically used an O series block.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,506 Posts
sorry but i just had to say this. R200 70mph @ 7000rpm in 2nd gear find me another 1.4 that'll do that. In 5th gear my revs r lower then a 2l and its only a 1.4 WTF

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah thats another thing at 6500rpm in 2nd gear I used to get over 70mph, now I only get 50, in 1st I used to get 45-50 and now get 30, so maybe all the ratios are wrong, ideas on what the box is likely to have come from? or meant to be fitted to?

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
santa20 said:
Yeah thats another thing at 6500rpm in 2nd gear I used to get over 70mph, now I only get 50, in 1st I used to get 45-50 and now get 30, so maybe all the ratios are wrong, ideas on what the box is likely to have come from? or meant to be fitted to?

Look for a Gold or white sticker on the front of the gearbox.

This will have a 4 figure code on it, eg K6AR (Maestro EFi) L6AR (Montego carb)

If this is missing, then you have no way of finding out what gearbox ratios you have, short of dismantling the box!

If it has a gold sticker, it definitely an old maestro/montego box, as these are Honda build units (only used up to 87)

Let me know what the code is, and I'll do some investigating.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
All this talk about Maestro/Montego boxes, has just made me realise, this is the VW box isn't it? I remember back in VW days (actually still do a bit) that mastro boxes used to yield some useful ratios.

Could you have a VW gearbox?, or VW final drive ratio?

CAM

1 - 20 of 35 Posts