Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from the 6speed gearbox thread, I've started this poll.

The choices are:

a) Conventional 6 speed manual box

b) Electronic Overdrive with a standard 5speed manual 'box
For example it could have 2modes:-
1) Auto mode - engages automatically at a constant speed over say 40, disengages automatically when accelerator pressed over half way down.
2) Manual mode - just push the button on the wheel - but it disengages automatically when the engine revs drop below (say) 1500.

·
Registered
665 Posts
santa20 said:
If they were the choices then a good 6 speed box, doubt I'd use an electronic overdrive
Why not?

How does an electronic overdrive work anyway? i'm talking about at the gearbox, how does it alter the ratio?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
My Dolly Sprint has overdrive on 3rd and 4th. Very nice to use, especially for overtaking holding overdrive 3rd and flicking it out for instant acceleration.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
It's just worth considering that overdrive on 3rd and 4th on those old 4spd BL type boxes gave one 6 speeds without having a 6 speed transmission. My own car, a GT-6 is really perfectly geared with the overdrive. Close gears down at the bottom, 3rd with overdrive, 4th, and 4th with overdrive.

Granted that it's a box that is prone to *blowing up*. It's actually the single weakest mechanical feature on the car, and that's including the notorious thrust washers. But taking the particular instance of a 40 year old car aside...

Overdrive is well nice on this car. But a 6 speed gearbox is like 6 of one of a half dozen of the other. When well executed in either case it is a good thing.

R

·
0 Posts
Major Ingram said:
Overdrives are old hat technology, leave them in the past!
except that they give you a clutchless gearchange, just like modern CVT/SMG/DSG gearboxes!

I can change from 4th to "5th" in my MGC without lifting off the power. I can also go from 3rd to "4th" (3rd plus overdrive) in the same way. This helps to make it very quick in real world conditions.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
Laycock is a nice name. My vote to it for sounding good. Overdrives are as Major Ingram says are quite old hat and probably not worth considering. Still, as a motorist with overdrive I firmly believe there is a level of refinement that 6 speeds with overdrive allow that 6 speeds without cannot quite replicate. Perhaps not better, but different.

Consider supercharging vs. turbocharging. The British supercharge things. The Germans turbocharge things. Neither is *better*. Both have applications that are more practical in one area or another... Perhaps overdrive would be an option MGR could actually look into.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
The Germans are not always right just because they are Germans you know. I mean they are really good engineers, but they do not know everything. And they are as a group, not induvidually, but as a group rather conservative. Perhaps the time has come to think outside the German saloon/ hatch box. Perhaps MGR can do it?

No offence to Germans out there.

·
Registered
665 Posts
smosquito said:
Laycock is a nice name. My vote to it for sounding good. Overdrives are as Major Ingram says are quite old hat and probably not worth considering. Still, as a motorist with overdrive I firmly believe there is a level of refinement that 6 speeds with overdrive allow that 6 speeds without cannot quite replicate. Perhaps not better, but different.

Consider supercharging vs. turbocharging. The British supercharge things. The Germans turbocharge things. Neither is *better*. Both have applications that are more practical in one area or another... Perhaps overdrive would be an option MGR could actually look into.
Mercedes' Kompressor is a supercharger.

Anyway, someone explain to me what an overdrive actually does, if it doesnt alter the ratio. Nobody's explained it properly. How does it actually work?

R

·
0 Posts
It does alter the ratio - it alters the final drive ratio by engaging an extra set of gears attached to the main gearbox, in an overdrive unit. It is usually operated by a hydraulic clutch powered by an integral oil pump and switched by an electric switch either on the gear lever or dashboard.

It is actually a semi-automatic, single speed box attached to the normal one.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
smosquito said:
Not so sure about that actually. On petrol models, B*W use N/A only and Merc use superchargers. MGR (britains only remaining volume car maker) has one forced induction engine and it's a turbo!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I too like overdrives (used to have a Triumph - great cars :D ) but a downside over 6 speed box is that they are heavy (like an extra gearbox almost) and also take up extra valuable space..

·
Registered
classic_mg
5,392 Posts
My dads old Volvo 740 2.3 of 1988 vintage had a 5th gear overdrive and to get it, you pressed a button on the top of the gear stick! Mad or what!?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
red_rover said:
My dads old Volvo 740 2.3 of 1988 vintage had a 5th gear overdrive and to get it, you pressed a button on the top of the gear stick! Mad or what!?
Same with the Triumphs (flicked a switch on top the gearstick)

R

·
0 Posts
Early MGBs and the C had the overdrive switch on the dash, later ones had it on the gearstick.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,893 Posts
Major Ingram said:
Overdrives are old hat technology, leave them in the past!
Find me a Five or Six speed box with a more positive action than an H-gate 4 with overdrive on 3rd and 4th and I might just agree with you. :indiff:

Since the introduction of 5 and 6 speed boxes, positive actions would also appear to be 'in the past'. No doubt part explains the proliferation of 'state of the art' namby-pamby gear change mechanisms ....

Come to think of it, all this "Doorsprungs Through Tecnologicals"... can the driverless car be so very far away now .... :scary:

... come to think of it AGAIN ...... isn't your actual Wheel 'Old Hat technology' ..... :rotflmao:

Whatever next ... Forget the wheel ....matter transportation by thought processes ... Now that's modern ...it's the only way to go .. and with three speed column shift too ... :cool:

Just my :2c:

P. S.. Back in the middle ages, well 1960s-70s actually, my Sunbeam Rapier and MGBs had overdrive - ever so smooth switch on top of gear lever with immediate change of revs up or down ... superb ....

·
Registered
984 Posts
Seriously though, you wouldn't use a 4-speed OD as you would a 6-speed box. Who here with OD gearbox experience have actually gone from 3rd, 3rd OD, then OD off and into 4th, then 4th OD?

When I first got the MG I was playing with the switch trying to get all six speeds and the novelty soon wore off (all this toggling business was probably bad for the overdrive solenoid too). The only good way to use an overdrive is for cruising purposes where you intend to keep it switched on for extended periods.

As for a proper 6 speed box, the overall ratios are closer and it's more fun rowing the gear shifter, especially if you have a smooth changing, short throw box like an MX5's or a S2000 (best gearbox i've played with, bar none, it's sharp and crisp like an electrical switch!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts