MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled my ti's fuel tank right to the brim the other day and in my fuel warning light cam on yesterday when Mrs Zozzie and myself got to Helmsley, a rather nice little town on the edge of the north Yorkshire moors. Now, doesn't sound very interesting does it? But... I reset my milage counter when i filled up and in Helmsley, the milage read 403! How the hell have I got over 400 miles from a tank?! I haven't been driving any different from normal either!

I'm rather pleased yet confused!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I filled my ti's fuel tank right to the brim the other day and in my fuel warning light cam on yesterday when Mrs Zozzie and myself got to Helmsley, a rather nice little town on the edge of the north Yorkshire moors. Now, doesn't sound very interesting does it? But... I reset my milage counter when i filled up and in Helmsley, the milage read 403! How the hell have I got over 400 miles from a tank?! I haven't been driving any different from normal either!

I'm rather pleased yet confused!
When on a trip to Cornwall last year in our 1994 ti we managed just under 400 with 3 people in the car and a boot full of stuff.

·
Registered
510 Posts
tis possible, i normally get about 250 - 280 out of mine but i do do alot of town driving, only a couple of good runs a week

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
The most i've ever got is 368 to a tank full but mainly get 320 driving around town and A and B road so can beleive it. If you keep of the boost that is :)

·
what a guy
6,972 Posts
as soon as I get my year's no claims I'm planning on swapping my 220SDi for a 620 ti, but I'm a bit worried about the fuel economy.

how bad is it? I drive with my foot to the floor about 90% of the time lol and I'll still be in college so won't have a huge income as I'll only be working part time.

so yeah, is it alright if you cane it?

·
Registered
510 Posts
as soon as I get my year's no claims I'm planning on swapping my 220SDi for a 620 ti, but I'm a bit worried about the fuel economy.

how bad is it? I drive with my foot to the floor about 90% of the time lol and I'll still be in college so won't have a huge income as I'll only be working part time.

foot to the floor is just a little bit different on the Di to the ti ;) it would be like pooteling about !!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
foot to the floor is just a little bit different on the Di to the ti ;) it would be like pooteling about !!
foot to the floor in a ti !!!!!!!! wont have ya licence for long :)

the bit's are on the way

:rofl: Was about to make all these points ~ BIG difference driving techniques between a Diesel and turbocharged petrol motor ...

If you drive a well maintained 620ti with restraint, on a run it's possible to obtain mid-30s mpg. That negates part of the fun of owning this kind of car.

However, how good is your will power? Once you've tried a lively turbocharged saloon like the 620ti, it will be very hard to resist using that performance. If economy is your main thing, a 620ti is not really for you.

Depending on the way I drive, the consumption on mine will vary between 23-29 mpg. I get low 30s mpg when on a long Motorway run and not driving for economy.

With a lot of restraint, and I mean a lot, I could get high 30s from mine on a run. The reason I know this is because when towing another 620ti using an A-Frame, I was amazed to discover I got more mpg whilst towing than I normally do driving without towing anything... of necessity, it is essential to drive very smoothly when using an a-Frame to tow another car:

·
what a guy
6,972 Posts
lol I know I know but you know what I mean, I think I would probably still be pretty aggressive with the Ti even though it's aLOT faster than my little SDi

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don't run it too low though as it knackers the fuel pump-not enough petrol to cool it properly
Well it's still pumping fuel!

Getting 400 from the tank was with normal driving! Not filled it to the brim again yet but it does seem quite good on fuel since it was at the garage for a service...

Getting into the mid thirties for mpg seems unusual though! Not going to complain though! I didn't drive the car differently from how I normally would - one thing I do like about the ti is that it is a very swift car without thrashing it all the time. The mid range is very usable and makes for a relaxing drive - then really push it and rev it when you're in the mood! :D

I would have thought a 220SDi would be a very different proposition compared with a 620ti! If you change you'll pay a lot more out in fuel! My dad and I reckon that the ti drops to the low twenties if you really push it... Last time my dad and I took it out for a 'good' drive (although he likes the serenity of his 75 he still loves the 600's!), it had around 35 miles of fairly hard/spirited driving and it returned in the twenties - getting up to speed was foot right down! Great fun! :D

At some point I'll check its fuel consumption again, but as John says, the 620ti isn't a car you buy for it economy...!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My -98 ti does regularly between 420 - 440 miles before the low fuel light turns on. When the light turns on I can fill up about 54-56 liters meaning that I have about 10 liters left in the tank. The petrol tank size is 65 litres.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
i'm going to a 600ti from a 400d which dose early 40's all day long even with a lead foot like i have, will let you lot know what i found out when the gearbox has been rebuilt and get it back, should be next saturday i hope.

i have had a 600ti before but cant remember what the fuel bills were like, all i remember is that they weren't to bad, but now i have been used to a diesel i will think i have a massive fuel leak:D. i will be spending more on fuel and insurance but i think its worth it has they are a fast and lovely car to drive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To be more exact my -98 ti has covered 216.000 km with an 8,05 liters/100 km average fuel consumption. 2/3 of the driving is on freeway and 1/3 in city. The variation of consumption has been in the range of 7,8 to 8,3 liters/100 km depending who has been driving it and how much there is city driving and freeway driving. I have never tried to save up fuel and I like to be the fastes car in the trafic lights every once and a while. I think the turbo charged engine is actually more efficien on fuel in day to day driving than naturally aspirated even if you use all the power it has got every now and then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To be more exact my -98 ti has covered 216.000 km with an 8,05 liters/100 km average fuel consumption. 2/3 of the driving is on freeway and 1/3 in city. The variation of consumption has been in the range of 7,8 to 8,3 liters/100 km depending who has been driving it and how much there is city driving and freeway driving. I have never tried to save up fuel and I like to be the fastes car in the trafic lights every once and a while. I think the turbo charged engine is actually more efficien on fuel in day to day driving than naturally aspirated even if you use all the power it has got every now and then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts