MG-Rover.org Forums banner

620 Turbo rattles on idle???

974 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Rotax100uk 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just bought a 620 ti and on tick over i have noticed that theres a metal on metal rattling sound coming from the engine but i can really tell from where just yet,

The power steering bottle was really low so i topped it up and started the car after, when i heard a sqeaking noise and then it dissappeared and the metal sounding rattle came back?

The steering doesnt really seem as if theres anything wrong but it is a little wet around the steering rack but its not really fresh oil looks as if its been there sometime.

I'm maybe thinking of taking if to the local garage to see what they reckon but i would like to see what you guys think first,

Any ideas very welcome, thanks very much

See less See more
#6 ·
If you peer down the front of the engine behind the turbo charger you'll see a small metal "can" with a metal rod poking out of it towards the drivers side. This is the actuator. The end of the rod is attached to the wastegate. You usually need to tigten this rod to remove the slack to stop it rattling. (don't tighten it too much as you'll raise the boost pressure!)

#7 ·
UPDATE

I have tried this and noise is still there,

I have been listening and its coming from inside the engine, yesterday when i was sorting out the rad problem i heard a screaching noise for about 5 mins and it increased with engine speed. sounded like its coming from the cam shaft area but it has stopped again now but the rattle is still there it comes and goes about every 30 seconds.

Any ideas?

Im going to go and let a garage have look tomorrow (mon) so i will let ya know what they say about it.

Thanks

#9 ·
Ok well i thought i would go anyway and i have spoken to the garage and they say its, water pump bearing or cam shaft bearing or cambelt. He said hes being straight that he cant get a true idea to the exact problem without a strip down, so he wants it in tomorrow for this at an hours labour or so and has told me not to drive it too much because he seems to think its very serious,

He has also said there is a suspect head gasket as well because of ALOT of pressure in the pipes and the water rose up very quickly when the car was running and gushed out until the cap was tightened. BUT he said that hes not 100% on the head gasket but he was just warning me that these cars are very common to these going.

I have been priced for a cambelt kit £120 fully fitted.

Does this sound about right or am i being ripped?

This garage is very trusted by our family and we have been going to them for years now and they have always been good to us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.