MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Purchased a 620 SDI couple of weeks back (great car btw!) and have a wee problem with the gear stick, or rather the amount of play with the gear stick when in gear.

Basically when selecting and leaving in any gear, the stick has quite a lot of excess left-right movement (or 'play' for want of a better description). Almost like the movement you would expect when the stick is left in neutral. It's not affecting gear selection in any way but is noticable none the less. It feels as if there is no resistance trying to centre the stick.

I'm thinking this could be a problem with the springs that centre the stick on the selector mechanism failing?? Am I on the right track? And is there an easy fix?

TIA

·
Registered
mg_maestro
696 Posts
This is quite normal and occurs on most Rover's fitted with the PG1 gearbox. Wear occurs in the universal joint where it joins to the gearbox.

The easiest solution is swop the selector rod assembly from a lower mileage car.

You may be able to 'bodge' it by removing the pin that passes through the joint and replacing with a tight fitting bolt and a nylock washer. Although they can often wear quite badly and oval the holes in the UJ which can be reclaimed by welding, linishing and re-drilling to the correct diameter.

·
Registered
25,622 Posts
I think the 600 uses a cable mechansim at the gearstick rather than the conventional through the floor rod linkage. Although this obviously connects to a linkage in the engine bay where wear may be apparent and a problem. From memory a similar thing is observed when the lever centering spring becomes detached or broken. Does your lever flop from side to side when in neutral, or does it still stand upright between 3rd and 4th gears?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the late reply.

It doesn't flop about when in nuetral but you can feel the play in the stick.

It does flop about when in first and third, but come to think of it though it does flop about in all gears but really only when you waggle the stick.

I've tried removing to gear stick gaiter to take a look but the thing seems to glued on?!

·
Registered
mg_maestro
696 Posts
E_T_V said:
I think the 600 uses a cable mechansim at the gearstick rather than the conventional through the floor rod linkage. Although this obviously connects to a linkage in the engine bay where wear may be apparent and a problem. From memory a similar thing is observed when the lever centering spring becomes detached or broken. Does your lever flop from side to side when in neutral, or does it still stand upright between 3rd and 4th gears?

The 620 Sdi uses the PG1 gearbox and uses the same type of mechanism as the vast majority of PG1 boxed Rover cars. Which means no cables.

It's definatly the linkage.

·
Premium Member
79,081 Posts
E_T_V said:
600 Honda engined petrols have a cable setup whereas the diesels (as has been said) have his universal jointed mechanical linkage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.