MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just sold a 620 gsi to a mate (or was) of mine and guess what... He broke down the very next day!! I have had a look at it today and it did not start. I checked for a spark at the plugs but none to be found. Went off to get some tools and when i got back to it, it started. i am assuming that it is a module/tdc.crank sensor problem, but as everything is built into the dissie it strikes me as being rather an expensive fix! I was wondering if any of you boffins out there may be able to give an opinion on what it might be. I have just had a similar problem with the wifes alfa and when i asked on the alfa site, everyone said "TDC" sensor. Very common indeed on the alfa. Is there a very common "no sparking" fault on the 620? Plus i dont have that many tools to do relevant tests on module/sensors etc. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
All the best
Steve Miller

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could it be the Coil pack? I had a similar problem with a megane coupe (the most unreliable car I've ever owned). It would run fine then, at an inopportune moment, sputter to a stop. Cost me £80 for the parts and was an easy fix, not sure where it would be on yours. Only problem is that if it's an intermittant problem you can't really test for it.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old fault update

Hi all. I posted a problem last month and decided to take the bull by the testies and fit a secondhand distributor. It worked........for 3 weeks!!! I have no spark again at the plugs, and having read that all electrics for spark/tdc sensor/crank sensor are all inside the dissie I have decided to replace the ignition amplifier. I have found a guy on e-bay who is selling them for £40.00. This will save a lot of dosh having not to buy a new distributor. I would not recommend a secondhand unit as mine only lasted 3 weeks and cost me £70.00. Will let you lot know if/when fixed for good.
All the best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all. Just a note to let you guys know that fitting the igniter/amplifier did not cure the problem. I wondered if anyone can tell me if there is an external sensor controling sparking to plugs? I am getting a little peed off with it now as it cannot be charged for!! I would welcome any advise. The chap I bought the igniter from said that he has sent out more of them than he can remember and he seems a really nice guy. I have searched the forum but cannot find another honda engined rover 620 that has this fault.
Anyway, thanking you in advance
Steve miller

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Have you tried the simple things, like damaged wireing feeding the dizzy, or is your immobiliser playing up? If not the I would visit a scrappy and rob everything to do with ignition off a scrap 620 and retrofit it to your car. Arrrrr bring back those days when all we had was points........
Cheers
Cap'n Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts