at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Hera said:
The heater blower on my 95 620i sometimes works perfectly : usually not
at all. Any ideas?
If it either works or it doesn't, that points to a loose connection somewhere probably either at the switch or the blower, or a faulty blower switch on the dashboard. If the blower either works or doesn't, with no intermittent speeds, then it'll likely be the resistor pack, there's a thread in the How Do I section which will explain more.

·
Registered
rover_600
30 Posts
ballast resistor

Hi,

just wondering I thought the ballast resistor controlled the fan speeds and you say youve got all fan speeds there.
So would it more likely be a dodgy connection on circuit ? as your fan either works ok or not at all.?
if it was a suspect ballast resistor I would remove it have it tested first as I bet there not cheap even from scrapyard.

mac600

·
Registered
rover_600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mac600 said:
Hi,

just wondering I thought the ballast resistor controlled the fan speeds and you say youve got all fan speeds there.
So would it more likely be a dodgy connection on circuit ? as your fan either works ok or not at all.?
if it was a suspect ballast resistor I would remove it have it tested first as I bet there not cheap even from scrapyard.

mac600
How do I get to the switch/blower connections?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Hera said:
How do I get to the switch/blower connections?
Probably best to get your hands on a copy of the Haynes workshop manual for the Rover 600 or Honda Accord. You'll need to rummage around behind the dashboard and glovebox. Not great to do without some idea of how it all comes apart and goes back together without breaking anything.

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
It's not unknown for the resistor pack to fail intermittently. The wire coils can break but have the broken ends still in contact. Road vibration then makes and breaks the contact. Same thing can happen to light bulbs too.

As posted earlier, use the search tool at the top of the screen (enter "resistor pack" or "heater speeds") you'll find all you need to know as this is one of the most common questions posted on this section of the forum. In practice it's very rarely the switch unless the switch and wiring have recently been disturbed for any reason.

·
Registered
rover_600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blower worked this morning then not. Then left for half hour then worked, Then not. This is without the engine running and no measurable movement to dislodge and connections. Must be something needing time to "recover" - resistor?

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
The resistor coils can vibrate a bit simply as a result of the current passing through. Exactly the same way that a lightbulb filament does.

The only way you can tell is to remove and inspect the coil pack. I don't know how you do this on a 620 so maybe a forum search using the button at the top of the screen will shed light on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts