MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 25 GTI a couple of months back and I had a full service at the local x-part dealer this week.

I was charged £500, was I fleeced ?

They estimate it needs another £1200 of repairs as well.

1. Water pump tensioner seized and they were unable to replace at the same time as the cam belt.

2. Rear discs and pads corroded.

3. Front reluctor rings split, (new cv joints) i.e no ABS

4. Damaged front near side alloy rim, tyre bulge. (new wheel)

5. Anti-roll bar link bushes split

6. Engine steady bush (lower) worn.

7. Worst of all they upset the car by telling it the cams are very noisy.
tick,tick,tick,tick,tick,tick

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hiya, It depends really. Was the X-part place a former MG/Rover dealer or just a Fred in a shed? A proper 60.000 covers quite a bit inc. anti-freeze change, plugs, brake fluid etc. Reluctor rings splitting are a common feature & the cam noise is probably your VVC units which are quite pricey new but a waste of money 2nd hand as they get noisey quite quickly. If you need any more advice please get in touch, i work as a master technician at an MG/Rover dealer (yes, there are some of us still going!) Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I was expecting it to cost a bit and it was an official dealer.

I'm mainly worried about the water pump tensioner being stuck apparently they used a long bar on it and that was bending.:errx2:

They estimated a few hours to try again but it was pure speculation.

To be honest the car doesn't seem to accelerate as fast as I would have been lead to believe.

I don't go over 4000 rpm as the engine sounds like it will explode in 4th.

Speed limits restrict me from trying higher revs in 5th

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Water pump tensioner???

There is a water pump and the cambelt tensioner, what were they trying to remove?

Rear discs and pads, anti-roll bar drop links and the engine mount are relatively simple jobs for the average home mechanic.

The ABS reluctor rings can be purchased separately which avoids replacing the whole CV joint, again easy to fit but a fair bit of suspension dismantling involved to get to the joint.

Wheel replacement would be a scrapyard or MGR breaker purchase, no way would you buy a new alloy!

The VVC engine is noisier than normal by design, from information gained it would seem that the cambelt end VVC mechanism can suffer premature wear possibly caused by incorrect cambelt tension.

New VVC mechanisms are available cheaply if there was a chance you were consdering a rebuild, it might be worth trying to get a sound clip of the engine idling and post it up here so we can have a listen!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Are you sure they're not refering to the PAS pump. No such thing as a water pump tensioner.
If the car isn't happily revving over 4,000 rpm, indeed to redline then there is a problem.
The VVC engine will effortlessly rev to red line.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It will be the cam belt tensioner by the sound of it, there is an 8mm allen bolt which can be overtightened by some monkey ( it will probably have had a head gasket or two by this mileage) it usually comes out with a good long bar but can round off which is where the fun starts!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was definately the water pump they couldn't get off, he told me they had to remove and replace the belt by adjusting some of the other fittings.

Still on the original head gasket.

The wheel I just bought from Coopsman1 and the brakes, link and engine mount bush will cost no more than £100.

I don't fancy attaching a heated reluctor ring and for 2 new joints they are almost the same price from buypartsbuy.

I don't know where to get the bush from and no idea of the cost to get everthing fitted.

I accelerated off a roundabout on the A500 tonight reached about 5500 rpm in 4th but was well over 80 so not near the elusive red line yet, will have to keep trying.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
So it was the actual water pump they couldn't get off? I'm confused here. The water pump doesn't affect removal or fitment of the cam belt. Not only that I've never known a water pump not to be able to be removed.

I would think you are either referring to the cam belt tensioner or the garage is talking cobblers. Either way if they have fitted a new belt without properly adjusting the cam belt tensioner and have simply bodged it then you may be in for trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts