MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quickie to see if there are any underlying issues with leaky connections or gaskets on this model.
The missus' car has decided to weep oil onto our driveway.......i originally put it down to the oil dripping from the piperx filter on my 180 ...but it is coming from hers. I have only had a half look and it appears to be mostly under the passenger side of the engine. Is this the sump area or could it be gearbox related.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the ZR uses engine oil in the gearbox also....is this nonsense or is there some truth to it ?

cheers again guys.

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
Oil from the passenger side would either indicate the sump having a loose plug and washer, or the driveshaft oil seal may be leaking i would have thought.

Best way is to jack the car up and take a look. If there is a leak on the floor, there should be strong fresh evidence of where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers CJ
will have the garage stick up in the air so I can have a look......those cars are sooooo low as standard. Cant get my bulbous head under the front lip spoiler :eek:uch:

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
cheers CJ
will have the garage stick up in the air so I can have a look......those cars are sooooo low as standard. Cant get my bulbous head under the front lip spoiler :eek:uch:
:rotflmao:
I know that feeling!!! Did you change the engine oil yourself last time round or was it a garage jobbie?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She only got the car at the new year so I havent got round to changing the oil yet.

Got car into garage on saturday and the bloke says that its the crankshaft oil seal thats leaking. a 4 hour job to get gearbox off and change seal !!!!!!! nightmare , cost around £250 -£300

any ideas if this is about right ?

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
4 hours at around the £70 per hour labour mark, would equal £300. Thats just labour, but in that job hardly any parts used.

I'm not sure if that's a decent price to be honest so hopefully someone else will be along shortly to confirm.

I've always had a slight sweat of oil thats normally found at the base of the clutch housing (lowest point of the car. It's never been enough to drip onto the floor so is very very minimal. Taken it to my local what was MGR dealer whilst it was under warranty a few times, and they never found anything worng.
Been through 2 MOT's too without mention so it can't be much.

I've checked the gearbox plug, driveshafts, and sump gasket but can't locate where this damn sweat is coming from.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be the same type of leak as whats on hers......only see drip marks after its been raining and its the water that cleans the underside of the bellhousing, thus oily marks on floor. Nothing obvious on dip stick and no continual dripping underneath, but mechanic says that its weeping from crankshaft seal.
Was going to add Wynns Stop Leak - Oil additive that replenishes dirty or worn oil seals and o-ring but I have been a little weary of this incase it does something to the oil. Has anyon used this before with any success ?

cheers again

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
Just out of interest, where is the crakshaft seal as when i get a moment i will take a look to see if the leak i've had is coming from the same area?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts