MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More than 50 police officers in Avon and Somerset were caught on camera breaking speed limits in 2006 while not on emergency calls, according to a report by the BBC.

While police cars attending an emergency are let off from such offences, there is no such leniency for police cars on normal patrols.

The BBC gained the information under the Freedom of Information Act, which showed that police cars triggered 640 speed cameras in Avon and Somerset in 2006.

Around 90 per cent of those were not prosecuted, but Avon and Somerset Constabulary said that officers in other incidents would be fined.
SOURCE: Autocar

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
:D

I have a solution for this, as people who know me well are aware...

:D
What is the solution? I got blitzed uphill by a Police Ford Galaxy with no lights on doing 80 in a 50 zone!!! I always seeing them speeding. One of my friends is a policeman in A&S police, he has been baned from police driving duties because he used his handbrake to help him get around a bend whilst doing 50 in a 30 zone but not on active patrol, with his Sergent sat next to him!! Who promptly shopped him and rightly so!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Simple. Pull them over and give them the same treatment that they would give you if you were the one speeding.

I've done it twice now. Its a great stress relief.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There was a piece in the local news here last month - an on duty policeman was flashed, turned out he was going for a take-away in a police car. But, he got 3 points & the fine, and a repremand. Good.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simple. Pull them over and give them the same treatment that they would give you if you were the one speeding.

I've done it twice now. Its a great stress relief.
What sort of reception did you get Mike? And how did you pull them over?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I was wondering that too, they were speeding and you managed to pull them over, did you use the PIT manouver, or ram them when they got stuck at the lights?

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
If I remember correctly, they don't strictly need to obey the speed limits, and don't really need to use the lights/sirens unless they need people to move out of the way.

Obviously if they are abusing it then they need repremanded.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I've pulled over police cars on two occasions - and both times without breaking the law.

The first time was on the motorway. For some reason that I can't remember, I wasn't breaking the speed limit in the first place. This police car came haring down the outside lane at stupid-MPH. He was going so fast I felt he was being a danger to other road users, so I pulled out behind him, tooted my horn and flashed my lights.

The police car slowed down dramatically. I pulled into the left lane and he did the same. I thought "uh-oh", so I indicated onto the hard shoulder. He did the same.

At that point I was committed. I had no choice but to follow it through. I got out of my car, marched up to him and asked "So, where's the fire?"

I proceeded to give him a lecture on the dangers of excessive speed, took his name, number and police station and then left him to it.

The second time was when I was being tailgated by a police car in a busy 30mph area. After following me for a couple of miles, he overtook me and did the same to the person in front of me.

If anyone else had been driving that way, they would have the book thrown at them, so I did the same thing - flashed my lights, blew my horn and indicated for him to pull over.

After about half a mile he did. I gave him the same treatment, except this time I reported him to his superiors.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Aside from the fact you put yourself and the occupants of both cars at risk by unnecessarily stopping on the hard shoulder. The Police would have stopped because they thought you had a problem...would you care to say what their reply to you was....don't tell me....you gave them what for and they apologised and went meekly on their way! :irked:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Aside from the fact you put yourself and the occupants of both cars at risk by unnecessarily stopping on the hard shoulder. The Police would have stopped because they thought you had a problem...would you care to say what their reply to you was....don't tell me....you gave them what for and they apologised and went meekly on their way! :irked:
Well I take my hat off to him even if you don't. The feds need to be reminded that they are not above the law sometimes.

Good on ya, Mike :URGOD:

·
Registered
865 Posts
If I remember correctly, they don't strictly need to obey the speed limits, and don't really need to use the lights/sirens unless they need people to move out of the way.

Obviously if they are abusing it then they need repremanded.
Not true. The rules are that unless attending an emergency (ie must have at least blue lights on) then they must obay ALL traffic laws. The only exception is when undertaking training and then must still exibit a blue light if it is safe to do so. Furthermore if they are responding to an emergency and it is unsafe to break the traffic laws (ie heavy traffic and having to avoid other vehicles) then if they are involved in an incident they will most likely have points attached to their licence.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

In my opinion the police car was driving dangerously at highly excessive speeds. The driver did not have his blue lights switched on.

When I spoke to the driver I was polite and asked him if he was attending an emergency. He said that he was not. I asked him if he had any justification for breaking the speed limit, other than he was driving a police car, and he could not answer the question.

I do not know how fast the police car was going, but if I was asked to guess, I would have suggested 120mph. The reality was that if it were me driving at 120mph, the police would have endangered my life and theirs in pulling me into the hard shoulder, so I fail to see what your point is.

My point is that the police are not above the law. Yes, they have exemptions when attending an emergency. These are rights that should not be abused.

Now, if a police car was driving a little bit too fast, or a little bit too close, well hey, who hasn't? The two times I have taken action have been extreme examples of intimidating and dangerous driving that would not be tolerated by the police or by the courts if they were done by normal members of the public.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts