Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 218SLD has died, (see post)

I've seen a nice 45 in a local garage

" 2001 Y Reg 45 2.0 TD IE, 5Dr Manual 65,000miles
5speed, ABS, Air Con, CD, Elec Mirrors/windows, mot,warranty"

What problems should I be looking for?
Asking price is £3995, as I have no trade-in would £3500 be possible??
When is the cam belt due?

SteveN

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
cambelt is about 62k I believe, so its either done or needs doing soon

not a bad price at all, for what you get warranty and all, wave 3,500 under their nose and see what happens

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Cam Belt is officially 84k with Auto-tensioner on FIP (Fuel injection Pump), 48k with Manual Tensioner.

All 3 belts, Cam, FIP, and AUXILLARY should be changed at the same time, and a Main Dealer will do them all for around £200.... so not too bad. Around £400 includes a major service too....

Price is good... although Insurance can be steeper than expected (group 11 i believe which is around Golf GTi levels)...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK Thanx for the comments so far, keep them comming please.

If the test drive goes OK (tomorrow about 5:00pm) then I will try to get the belts done as part of the deal. Is this engine a clearance/interference re-cambelt?

I had a nose around last night, from the outside minor ding in the drivers door & small parking scrape on the rear bumper, tyres a bit thin, otherwise looks good.

Assuming regular maintenance, should I expect a reliable car?? my 218 was a great & reliable car (I had hoped to pass the 200K before the end :( but 198K was very close :cloud9: )

Is there any specific problem I should look-out for??

SteveN

PS checked insurance +£81 relative to the 218

·
Registered
446 Posts
SteveN said:
OK Thanx for the comments so far, keep them comming please.

If the test drive goes OK (tomorrow about 5:00pm) then I will try to get the belts done as part of the deal. Is this engine a clearance/interference re-cambelt?

I had a nose around last night, from the outside minor ding in the drivers door & small parking scrape on the rear bumper, tyres a bit thin, otherwise looks good.

Assuming regular maintenance, should I expect a reliable car?? my 218 was a great & reliable car (I had hoped to pass the 200K before the end :( but 198K was very close :cloud9: )

Is there any specific problem I should look-out for??

SteveN

PS checked insurance +£81 relative to the 218
My 45 Diesel is a 92K currently without any problems apart from lightbulbs. I know of one other where the mass airflow sensor has gone, requiring replacement for about £130, I've seen talk about others on here with the mass air sensor problem - seems to be a general diesel thing not just the L-Series as the component is made, I believe, by Bosch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys I just got home from the test drive :bored:

First off the sales man could not start the car, totally dead :err:
While he got someone to sort it, big hammer to the starter motor, I had a quick look around the inside.
1/ Clutch pedal rubber VERY worn, large hole - Very large hole. :err:
2/ Brake pedal simillarly worn :err:
3/ Boot lining hanging out, bad image tho' easy fix.
4/ During the test drive the clutch bite point seamed nearer the steering wheel than the floor :err:
5/ With every gear change the clutch pedal/clutch (not sure which) clunked :err: is that a real word 'cluncked'
anyway
6/ Service history:-
only a computer print-out? not necessarally bad, but every service was exactly to the mile - 15,000, 24,000, 36,000, 48,000, 60,000.
approx 5000 miles in the last 18 months & 3000 in the last 11months (from the MOT ticket)
4off Emergency breakdown recoveries in the last 12 months, 2 of which were 24/12/2004 & 30/12/2004
(someone was very pissed off last Christmas!!)
7/ One owner - NCP Car Hire :err:

I could add some more but pointless, I shall not be pursuing this individual car.
Though I must say that the car felt comfortable to drive, one I could get to like if you know what I mean, I shall be looking for another but not from that dealer.

So am I right to walk away??
SteveN

·
Registered
253 Posts
dont walk away start running now :) might be a good price now but will cost more in the long run.better to pay a bit more and get a decent example.

ian

·
Registered
18 Posts
just wondering steve, i have got a 418gsd with 149k on the clock, as u may already know :)....u said that ur 218sld was running like clock work and u were hoping to do 200k when it suddenly died. what happened? should i be worried? i was thinking of getting a newer motor myself, but problem is love the xud diesel unit on mine. seems like it can go on forever. Not to sure yet about the newer rover diesels......

but if i had a choice ( due to finance admittitedly) i would rather keep mine, although would need to spend a few hundred quid to get it in tip top condition. u think its worth it on the long run????...or is it time to move on

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
I'd be interested to know aswell.....I've seen many XUD's running at 250,000 miles...!

The only troublesome XUD unit is the DHY one in the 406 and 306 from about 1998 - they have a habit of throwing conrods :(

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 218SLD

Well bank holiday monday we were out looking at caravans, don't shout at me about the van please. Anyway last major service, including cambelt, was at about 160k miles, cambelt change every 72kmiles, so I was blissfully happy expecting the cambelt to last thro' the next MOT (17/04/05). We were about 35miles from home driving thro' Thetford Norfolk when, as we pulled away from a set of traffic lights there was a low thud and the dash lit-up like a Christmas tree. NO power, no power steering - oh Sh1t!, no brakes -OH SH1T again. Limped onto a petrol station forcourt with a little help from me!!

My immediate thought was cambelt :eek:uch: , called that very nice man from the AA, he arrived within about 30 mins spun the engine over and then confirmed my diagnosis :eek:uch: :eek:uch:
So with my target of 200k miles in sight (1988**miles on the clock) my 218 has now retired :sad3:

Now Monday was our wedding aniversary, so she who knows best was happy :shh: With the 3 children :grouphug: with us as well we had to get a train+taxi home leaving the 218 35miles away.

I have hired a trailer for tomorrow to go & collect the 218 and bring her home for the last time.
I don't have the confidence to pull the head off myself and have a looksee, but as the engine has already been spun over I will double check. The fuel pump pulley is on one end of the cam shaft, cambelt end, and the power steering/vacuum pump pulley the other. So if I just flick the key while someone, my 15y old son :shh: I haven't told him yet, can watch the pulley for movement. If the vacuum pulley moves then it could be the fuel pump pulley?? or something else?? not sure what tho'

Why did the cambelt go early? who knows but thats where I have put my money, unless of cource you know different

And before you say 72 x 2 = 144, not 160, I had the cambelt replaced at 114k when the fuel pump leaked diesel over that belt, so I slipped the 144 to 160 & was intending to get back in sync @ 210ish
SteveN

·
Registered
18 Posts
so u had done 160k when the belt was changed. when did the car die ( i.e how many miles had it done). just wondering a mechanic mate of mine once siad u should change them every 30000 miles to be safe once the car gets old, no matter what the manufacture says ( i.e in rovers case 60 k odd). i thought he was bull****ing to make more money out of his customers, but heck maybe from what u have said he was right!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Senna

the car had actually covered 198k 8hundred odd miles when the belt went.

Belt was changed at 72k, 114k, 160k, thenn 198k snap :yikes:

I think in future I too will be changing belts at 2/3's recommended milages.

SteveN

·
Registered
classic_rover
197 Posts
The XUD engine in my Peugeot 205 (bought new in 1989) went on to 350,000
and still running well when sold. Maintenance had been minimal except for regular oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those interested

I collected my 218 last night & before I pulled her on the trailer I got my son to watch the vacuum pump pulley while I flicked the ignition switch, NO movement. So the cambelt has snapped, why it failed early I don't know.

On a brighter note I have 3 - 45's to view over the weekend.

If you read this Senna I haven't forgot the pics of the brake discs, just been a tad busy, I will try to sort over the weekend.

SteveN

·
Registered
18 Posts
SteveN said:
For those interested

If you read this Senna I haven't forgot the pics of the brake discs, just been a tad busy, I will try to sort over the weekend.

SteveN
cheers steveN....just wonedring what type of belt was it ? i.e a aftermarket one? does anyone know if buying belts from lets say the local motor factor shop, could be of a lesser quality than buying from rover dealers???

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Senna

The belt should have been a 'Gates' that is what I requested.
I had previously had good reports about their quality.

Back on original subject.

I have seen & am about to buy a 45 2.0 td IXL spec
61K miles FSH, nice condition, was traded against a Citreon (spelling?)
at the main dealer. It has been passed on to a smaller garage.
Comes with 12 Warranty, 9months MOT
Full service inc cambelt (my request)
All the toys inc Aircon + Sunroof
Electric this & that, towbar AND........go faster rear spoiler
That was what sold it, that spoiler... must be at least 0.5MPH faster with that!

I even managed to speak with the last registered owner ( of 2 years), no problems, reliable but a little underweight (Kg's) for towing his caravan.

Price, £4500, is that good/bad/average comments please.
SteveN

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
I think it's a very good price...
It's at the top of the price range, but you know the car is sound.

Remember "you can pay a little too much for something, and be a few pence out of pocket, or spend too litle on something, and find all your money is wasted".....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts