MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 45 1.6, used to start on the button, 1-2 seconds of holding the key and away it goes smooth as silk, no hesitation, no lumps no funny noises, faultless.

But as of this thursday, it takes a good 5-10, sometimes up to 15 seconds of turning over to cut in, and sort of wobbles its way up to the usual idle rpm.

Once started all is good, but switch it off and try again and the problem remains, regardless of engine temperature and number of attempts.

The battery gives about 12.7-ish volts, and the alternator 13.5v give or take when running, the starter motor is consistant and strong, so i'm out of ideas.

I'm getting the 'I hate that stupid car' speech from the other half:mad: so any help no matter how small would quite possibly save my life.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
mgf
208 Posts
how about the dizzy cap,i had this and could only assume it started only once the rotor arm had spun up to pull itself further towards the outer contacts.
hope ive helped.let us know how you get on please.

·
Registered
rover_45
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a look at the leads and plugs didn't take them out though, the far right one had what i can only assume is oil around the base of it, its a very tiny amount but the connection and the top of the plug had what looked like grease on them, starts fine after a good clean but going to let it cool right down and try again. Apart from that it is very clean and dry in the hole with no runs or anything.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If its a 199> 45 then it will not have a dizzy cap, oil around the spark plugs can cause a misfire, sometimes it just needs a good service with new plugs etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts