MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me where exactly the reluctor rings are on the wheels, axles, driveshafts or wherever.

I guess I've got a cracked one as the brakes are banging when braking gently and from slow speed.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
They are on the ends of the driveshafts behind the discs. It will be broken as I have the same on my car. Havent got round to fixing it yet as it is more of a pain in the arse rather than a danger. Probably have to fix it for the MOT though

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info...
Are they only on the front wheels? Or are there some on the rear wheels, even though they are drums.

Can you get to the reluctor rings just by removing the wheel?

Cheers

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Snaggles said:
Thanks for that info...
Are they only on the front wheels? Or are there some on the rear wheels, even though they are drums.

Can you get to the reluctor rings just by removing the wheel?

Cheers
The front ones are behind the discs built into the last part of the driveshaft. The rear ones are built into the rear hubs. Front ones are about £150 each from main dealer, plus labour.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I'm trying to find out is...

are these rings visible by simply removing the wheels? Or is it a lot more work involved in finding out which one is broken?

TIA

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
AndBurG said:
yes if you remove the wheel you should be able to see the ring, then spine the wheel to rotate it
The front ones yes, the rear ones you will need to open the drum.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The OE ones are £100 anf £50 from a local motor factor for front outer CV joints.

·
Registered
88 Posts
you don't need to take the wheel off to see them - just turn the wheel outwards and stick your head under. It looks like a cog around the drveshaft/CV joint. The back ones are pretty unlikely to go as they're more substantial.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
pc1271 said:
you don't need to take the wheel off to see them - just turn the wheel outwards and stick your head under. It looks like a cog around the drveshaft/CV joint. The back ones are pretty unlikely to go as they're more substantial.

The back ones wont go because they are enclosed in the drum, and never rust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts