MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my engine has started to have running problems. Below 3000rpm the power is pulling back, then starts to run properly and then messes about again. Once over 3000rpm the engine pulls much better but still has a slight stutter. The orange check light is also intermittently showing and almost kills the power when lit.

I've read in some of the other posts that there is a good chance that its the crankshaft sensor. But when I go to the parts suppliers they ask me if its the engine speed sensor or crankshaft position sensor that I need and the prices that they quote range from £25 up to £70.:indiff: What is the correct name of what I'm looking for ??????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I start the engine the car revs at normal tickover but the orange engine warning light comes on and then it goes off when I drive down the road. It mostly plays up when the engine is warmed up and motorway work is a pain in the backside.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
also check the wires that run over the cam belt cover, as the can chafe on the engine cover.
thats what happened to my 600, i`d be driving fine on the M6 when the engine warning light would come on and off every 5-10 mins and sometimes it would even kill the engine and i would have to pull on to the hard shoulder, turn the ignition off n on and it would be fine again for another 10 mins.
when i had a look round the engine bay i found the black engine cover had all but cut though 2 wires .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a quick look at the wire over the cam cover this morning but couldn't see any problems.

Where abouts on the engine is the crankshaft position sensor located on the engine? I rang up Rimmer brothers, they said that two makes of sensor were fitted to my model and I need to tell them whether its a Bosch or Lucas. Knowing my luck I'll have a Bosch because they only have a Lucas in stock. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts