MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My Fiancee drives a 1999(T) Rover 420 with a 2.0litre Turbo Diesel engine.. It's got 76k on the clock and was fully serviced last September.

Just lately we've noticed that it's badly underpowered and I reckon that the Turbo isn't kicking in at all. Usually she can leave small petrol cars in the dust when accelerating up hills, but now even with her foot to the floor in a low gear, she finds herself struggling to make it to 40mph on a medium incline. Also, on the Motorway it's a real struggle to get the car above 70mph and you simply can't make it over 80mph (not that she ever does of course) unless you're going downhill.

I know absolutely nothing about Turbos but I'd like to do any checks that I can, before I have to take it to a Garage and pay someone.

If anyone has any ideas, please can you let me know what I should check (and where it is under the bonnet).

Many Thanks
Jonathan

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
first thing id do is check for splits in the intercooler hoses...... thats if its an SDi?

if it feels like it has zero pull then this is normally the problem. dont dissmiss them with a glance, best thing to do is take them off and give them a full inspection.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
ricc said:
first thing id do is check for splits in the intercooler hoses...... thats if its an SDi?

if it feels like it has zero pull then this is normally the problem. dont dissmiss them with a glance, best thing to do is take them off and give them a full inspection.
I can mirror that! i had a split hose and it kept coming off too, led to massive underpower!

Does the engine managment light flick on at all when driving? could have problems with a sensor maybe?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
check the botton intercooler hose for a split sounds 100% like t has split, probably right by the intercooler, strong gaffa tape will make a good quick fix to drive round until you can get hold of a good replacement.

andy

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
If it is the hose, pop to the dealer and ask for one, when my top hose went, i randomly popped in, and they had several new ones on the shelf!, nearly fell over :lol:

Paid £25 iirc, which i didnt think was bad for a new part and genuine too, mind you i was desperate to get it fitted, was anoying the hell out of me

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
i had gaffa on mine for approx a month before i gave up the ghost for good..... be warned it will warm up and oily deposit will end up all over your engine bay :)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Stu C said:
If it is the hose, pop to the dealer and ask for one, when my top hose went, i randomly popped in, and they had several new ones on the shelf!, nearly fell over :lol:

Paid £25 iirc, which i didnt think was bad for a new part and genuine too, mind you i was desperate to get it fitted, was anoying the hell out of me
ive had both top and bottom hoses go on me!!!! bottom hose cost me 36 the top cost me 29.....

the price you pay when running 23psi :$

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
ricc said:
ive had both top and bottom hoses go on me!!!! bottom hose cost me 36 the top cost me 29.....

the price you pay when running 23psi :$
:rocker:
Your still running 23psi? madness man!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts