MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if it was possible to fit the 420 GSi Turbo engine into a 2004 facelift MG ZS 120?

Im assuming its cheaper to do this to get 200 bhp rather than the 6k a tuned 1.8 K series will cost new.

Anyone done it or know anyone who has?

Thanks

J

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
it has been done in a ZR but not a facelift ZS to my knowledge, not easy due to immobiliser issues and wiring differences.

better bet is a late 420, do the turbo conversionon that and fit a ZS front end

has been done a couple of times

·
Registered
mg_zs
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a 1.8 turbo which gives 160bhp I think, does anyone know if the turbo can be bolted onto the 1.8k series aftermarket or are there other engine differences to take into account?

Jon

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
you can turbo the K series but you'll need new pistons, engine management, manifold, turbo ...certainly not cheap.

·
Registered
mg_zs
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know a company will super charge it for 6K but thats a little steep when you can buy a 2003 ZS 180 for 5K.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
£6k for a supercharger???

sell it buy a ZS180 and supercharge that, about half the cost from PTP for a ZS180 supercharger

·
Registered
mg_zs
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But would it fit? The ZS is the same as the 45 and I know you can get a v6 in the ZS/45 so it should fit? The 420 GSi is front wheel drive yeah?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
400/45/ZS all basically same car, engines will swap and change between them.

I'd sell your current ZS and bu ya ZS180 instead, then if you really want more power supercharge it

·
Registered
mg_zs
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would but most 180's dont have the speck of my 120 and i would like to keep it as ive had it from new. Supercharging the 180 gives 220bhp at the cost of 4K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts