MG-Rover.org Forums banner

416 - white smoke - water loss - cuts out

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mad007dog 
#1 ·
My son's Rover 416 N reg and 110K on the clock.

He has just told me (i.e "Dad here's the keys can you have a look") that...

(a) it's cutting out after 30 mins running and refusing to restart BUT eventually restarts happily when cold.
(b) it's using water and he doesn't know where it's going (I think I do, read on) as there's no leaks and no mayo in oil or water.
(c) there's white smoke at start up that persists far too long.

I suspect the water is geting into a cylinder (plugs look fine) and out the exaust.
1. cracked head ?
2. HGF between water channel and cylinder ?
3. cracked cylinder lining ?

How can I narrow this down ? All suggestions appreciated.

I have 3 lads and over the years the expertise on this forum has kept 5 cars (their 400s and my 800) on the road (I know have a Xedos 6 in the drive to keep me busy - don't ask).

See less See more
#3 ·
Disconnect HT Leads, and put somewhere safe away from bodywork!!, remove spark plugs and try starting the car, obviously it wont, but if theres any mass amount of water in the cylinders then it'll come out when it turns over, but that depends on the rate of coolant loss, as said before, i recommend taking the head off, it won't do any harm because if you are going to fix it then its the first step for all 3 of your suggested problems, Good Luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.