MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question, drive a 1996 Japanese 416 tourer (auto) and have recently bought a 1997 216 SLi (also auto). Both drive ok, both have the same engine (K16), but the 216 I really have to rev hard to gain speed (2500 - 3000) whereas the 416 I don't have to rev (2000 rpm). Both have a 52mm throttle body. What is different? Because the 216 needs to be rev-ed it's a lot noisier....

Answers are really appreciated!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, both are fully maintained. 216 has received a new "everything" a while back (1 month), oil, sparkplugs, filters, belts, waterpump, coolant, new dampers etc.

The 416 is also fully maintained. 416 has 91.000 km on clock, 216 has 39.000 km

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Yep, both are fully maintained. 216 has received a new "everything" a while back (1 month), oil, sparkplugs, filters, belts, waterpump, coolant, new dampers etc.

The 416 is also fully maintained. 416 has 91.000 km on clock, 216 has 39.000 km
the only other thing i can suggest is a slippy clutch, :dunno:

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
The 1997 216SLi would be the later R3 (Bubble) Rover 200 Series, and would be fitted with a 1.6 K-Series engine with the CVT transmission.

It maybe that in the transition from R8 (Wedge) to R3 (Bubble) that the engine/transmission mix underwent some modifications to its characteristics.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
The 416 auto is the Honda unit I believe not a K16.
Early models were, but when the Bubble shape 200 Series was launched, the Tourer/Cabriolet/Coupe were facelifted and received the R3 (Bubble) dashboard. At the same time, the Tourer/Cabriolet/Coupe received the 1.6 K-Series engine, and was offered with the CVT transmission.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
If it's a CVT we are talking about, I think that would explain why it seems to 'need reving' more than the other car.

You don't get to choose the revs in a CVT car (it's automatic!) - the g'box controller does that and it normally runs the engine at higher revs than a driver with a manual 'box would. It's a little odd to start with, but very effective once you get used to it.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Similar situation. 1993 Rover 214 pulled from low rpm and smootly at that. Current 1998 416 has to be revved hard and aint smooth pullin away. Manuals tho.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's a CVT we are talking about, I think that would explain why it seems to 'need reving' more than the other car.

You don't get to choose the revs in a CVT car (it's automatic!) - the g'box controller does that and it normally runs the engine at higher revs than a driver with a manual 'box would. It's a little odd to start with, but very effective once you get used to it.
Both are CVT. Engine is exactly same, K16, think even gearbox is the same. The 416 just feels so much better, doesn't need to be revved at all.

Both drive great though, was just wondering why the 216 needs to be revved more if it's exactly the same setup....

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,505 Posts
Early models were, but when the Bubble shape 200 Series was launched, the Tourer/Cabriolet/Coupe were facelifted and received the R3 (Bubble) dashboard. At the same time, the Tourer/Cabriolet/Coupe received the 1.6 K-Series engine, and was offered with the CVT transmission.
I don't think you're correct. The R400 T/C/C got the 1.6k-series when the dash was updated around 1997.

I think the 416 auto 1995-1996 had the Honda engine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts