MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just had a new clutch fitted today after the thrust bearing went, fitted ok,
but when it got tested it was slipping,
turns out that the piston in the slave cyinder(i think?) wont go in far enough, you can tell by the colour of it that i did go in a good 2" further than it will now, and he cannot apply enough pressure to get it back in, it looks like a sealed unit
any ideas on how to release something to get the piston back in the cylinder far enough, there must be a simple way, but cant suss it out?:banghead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, its an hydraulic clutch.
he managed eventually get it back in, still not sorted yet, something not set right because its still slipping

·
Registered
147 Posts
Heya i just checked up my "1990 - 1995 Rover 216 & 416 Haynes manual" and it says its a cable operated clutch. is yours the honda engined one? your might have the later rover 1.6 which may not be cable.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
your manual is for the 1990-1995 models, his car is 1995-1999 generation which has a hydraulic clutch.

mick69, I hope there is a simple way because I'm not far from changing my clutch too and this kind of problem is comon :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is definatley an hydraulic clutch, n reg 416,k series 16v engine
basically, the thrust bearing went, supposed to be a simple job to change the clutch, 1st problem was getting the piston thingy back in, which he did, however the clutch still kept slipping, stripped back down to make sure its fitted right and all looks ok, i think he's going to fit the old pressure plate back in to see if that makes a difference

1 - 6 of 6 Posts