MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yet another small problem has arisen with my 414.
Wipers work fine when on normal or fast setting, but if I put them on intermittent, they're not fully sweeping the screen before pausing. ARGH! It's almost as if they're stopping after 2/3 the time, if you get what I mean.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Ta in advance!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Sounds like u need another wiper motor, r take your original one to peices ant try to repair it..

But the major will put you right if im wrong

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for the reply. I've had a search and found some posts from people with similar problems. So I've just checked to see if the fault still happens if I lift the wipers away from the screen. And it still does.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah well... can't hurt to pull out the motor and try repairing it! (will get another form the scrappy just in case hehe.)

I just found it strange that the wiper seems to sweep 2/3 of the way (and then sweeps another 2/3 etc).. it eventually ends up back at the start!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I cleaned mine out a while ago, which were doing the same thing, it fixed the problem but they are getting progressivly worse over time... Annoying as the motor is quite fiddly to get out..

May have to think about replacing the damned thing altogether and be done with it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this problem in a 94 214SI, and the bloke at rover reckoned it was the multi funtion control unit, behind the fuse box, which controls wipers and interior lights etc.

He said £75 for a new unit, so I didn't bother. Just learnt to hold down the wiper stalk long enough to wipe the screen once, and got that good at it my friends thought i'd fixed the problem!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
new motor...just done mine for same reason on a Rover 200. £60 + VAT. Scrap was £41 (inc P&P and VAT).

Jonathan

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
This problem has been mentioned before.

The electrical contacts in the gearbox section of the wiper motor become intermittent because they arc and erode.

Drill out the rivets holding the cover plate, once removed clear away any grease. Look carefully at the contacts, there are two sets....pay close attention to the pair that the brown and black wires are connected to.

If they are only slightly worn simply bend them so they make better contact, if they are really worn you can increase the wipers length by soldering some
solid copper wire on to it.

To reduce any further arcing fit a 220nF capacitor across the brown and black
wires.

Use some small self tapping screws to hold the cover plate in place.

All done!!

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
AndyS said:
I had this problem in a 94 214SI, and the bloke at rover reckoned it was the multi funtion control unit, behind the fuse box, which controls wipers and interior lights etc.
Just goes to show how much he knew! :cus:

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi technozen just done what you described they were only slightly worn bent them as you said and it is working a treat now chears mate

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey! just wanted to get that old thread to the front again, cause it's really helpful...
just did what was described to my wiper motor, which was faulty as well, and it is back to work now! Thanks!

Just a small question. the contact area was completely covered with grease. I left it there, only bend the contacts up, thinking that it might be necessary for normal operation. should I have cleaned it up?

Anyway, it works, so thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts