MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car on 28th September 2006.

3rd January the car was overheating and the radiator appeared to have lost lots of water. I suspected Head Gasket Failure from talking to friends and from the many comments on this site and rang the garage, explained the symptoms and my fears of a HGF.

9th January - the car was finally taken to the garage where they confirmed it was a HGF. The car was now out of it's 3 month warranty but I had taken an extended warranty which covered me for the labour & head gasket but not the bolts or skimming, for which I paid £150.

16th February
- Car was finally fixed after many phone calls. Later transpires that the mechanic that did the repair on my car has disappeared and has allegedly gone bankrupt. After picking up the car I noticed numerous driving issues. The car would appear to idle too low and I would consistently have to keep the revs up to keep the car running. Called garage and was informed that this was quite normal. The car would be "fluffy" for sometime while it was "bedded in" (their words).

I owed a few car share lifts to work as a result of my car being off the road so long so I drove my car for work figuring it would be an excellent means of "bedding it in". Throughout this period I called the garage a few times letting them know of my concerns and the cars unreliability.

7th March - Altogether the car did 400 miles before it stopped working altogether and refused to start at all. The garage claimed that they currently had no mechanic available but they would pick it up as soon as possible.

19th or 20th March - After numerous phone calls and turning up in person at the garage they finally picked up the car. The car radiator had again been losing water. Turned out the ECU was sat in water and I required a new one. The ECU then apparently needed programming at a Rover dealership. Then there was still a problem with a crankshaft sensor that required sorting. During this period I requested that they service the car so that I would be covered under the terms of my extended warranty.

Monday 30th April - I finally picked up the car. The warranty covered the cost of the new ECU and I was billed a further £300 for the additional costs that the warranty did not cover. The service had also not been carried out and when I paid my bill I let them know in no uncertain terms that I was unhappy with the service and frustrated that a car that I had purchased 7 months ago from them had only been on the road for 2 months. I also proposed them purchasing the car back off me so that I could look for another motor.

Tuesday 1st May - The next day thought I would check the radiator just on the offchance. I could not see the coolant level so topped up the radiator. Rang the garage to report that the original problem of the radiator losing water was still apparent, but owing to our conversation the previous day said they would not have the car back in again.

Wednesday 2nd May - Took car out for first run driving to work. Revs still seemed too low when idling and also very sluggish. Before returning from work checked the radiator again to discover it was still losing fluid. Topped up with water and then set off home. On the way back the car started overheating and I detected a familiar smell that I recognised from the first HGF.

The car is now stuck in my driveway again. Sorry for the long post a lot of it is simply letting off steam and I haven't even included the issues that I reported when I purchased the car that they took 2 months to fix.

What I need to know is, is it normal for a HGF to occur only 400 miles after having been repaired?

Do I have any rights regarding a repair that has been carried out lasting?

I am in Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire if anyone knows of any reputable garages, should I fail to get the garage to repair the car again, I would like to hear of them.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
What I need to know is, is it normal for a HGF to occur only 400 miles after having been repaired?
no.

Do I have any rights regarding a repair that has been carried out lasting?
yes. I would suggest going to seek some legal advice either from the CAB or from a solicitor.

welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, what a quick response! :D
I have been in touch with trading standards and I am currently proceeding with their advice. The thing is they don't sound so sure themselves whether i have a case and whether HGF classes as wear & tear, or even whether 400 miles is unreasonable.
Have written a letter to the garage as instructed by consumercomplaints.org.uk requesting that they fix the car in the next 14 days and I am about to post recorded delivery.

Thank you for the welcome and I will keep posted of any further developments should it be of any use to anybody who finds themselves in a similar predicament.

I knew I did the right thing posting here :D

Forgot to mention in my 1st post that the car is a V reg Rover75 1.8

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
then this post is in the wrong section. :shh:

what was the original cause of the head gasket to go, was it found?

the ECU in water is a common problem - if only you have have looked here first!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
What did they diagnose s the original casue of the HG failure. They don't just go for no reason despite what some garages claim (thrashing from cold is the only real exception).

If they didn't fix the original cause then it is very likely it will fail again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I was not told what caused the original failure. The mechanic who did the work apparently "disappeared" and the garage claims he is now bankrupt. The garage that sells the car has a mechanic that presumably is self employed and uses their garage as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
unless the original issue was fixed it is common for the repair to not last. :(

get those plenum drain holes checked too - or you could fry another ECU!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Multiple HGF's mean only one thing-the jobs not been done correctly.

You should have a good case against the 'mechanic' I would think.
Since the garage were employing the mechanic, if the mechanic was negligent in carrying out the work then the employer AKA the garage is liable. That's vicarious liability for you - so it doesn't make any odds if the mechanic is bankrupt.

Anyway, trading standards should help you.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Kelem,

What a tale of woe. I can't offer any help, other than wishing you all the best with this, and to look forward to hearing about a successful outcome.

Malcolm

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Agreed, don't accept being fobbed off.

They are responsible regardless if they were using self emplyed staff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kelem

first check your extended warranty documents as it may be that if it is underwritten by a third party you can take it up with them and they may be able to nominate an alternative dealer or garage to get a repair done.

It sounds like the repair was not done properly in which case you have a case with the garage. If the bill then sent you was from the garage rather than the mechanic then the garage holds full and final responsibility.

·
Registered
320 Posts
do you belong to any motoring organisation like AA or green flag, as they would help on taking this issue up with the garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
first check your extended warranty documents as it may be that if it is underwritten by a third party you can take it up with them and they may be able to nominate an alternative dealer or garage to get a repair done.
Unfortunately the garage did not service the car as requested and it was in their care throughout this period. The extended warranty stipulates that the car has to be serviced every 6 months.

I have spoken to the garage and informed them of their obligations under the "Supply of Goods and Services Act of 1982". They have now agreed that they may fix it but only under the extended warranty and I will be liable again for charges that are not covered under the warranty such as the skimming and head bolts. This is not acceptable and I think now that I will go ahead and send a letter to the garage by recorded delivery requesting that the work be completed within 14 days as instructed by Trading Standards. If the service had been done I think I would have dropped the whole issue and just had the car repaired at another garage under the warranty. :(

I've lost out on enough overtime while my car has been off the road that I could have purchased another vehicle. :(

·
Registered
mg_zt
32 Posts
Did you buy the car using finance ? I had a similar issue with an MGF TF the HG went just as Rover went “pop”, bad timing. My wife took it up with the finance company who paid the full bill of £900. I also contacted my finance company when I had an Merc E220 Cdi and it broke down within a week of getting it and was getting all sorts of excuses from the garage. My car was in the garage more times than I had it on the road. In the end the finance company paid the garage a visit and got it sorted and this was after I had the car over a year. The final bill was £2300 for a new head, all caused by a bodge. The garage tried helicoling an injector and it blow out on the motorway. Quite high pressures on a CDi.

·
Registered
103 Posts
if you paid for the car or the work that you had to pay for by C/CARD or got the car on hire-purchase wite to them and send them a copy of any letter you send to the garage. as there should help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts