MG-Rover.org Forums banner

400 Intercooled Diesel - Engine Management Problem

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ta5jda 
#1 ·
Hello there,

I have been having a problem on and off with my 1999 Rover 420 GSDi for a month or so now. The problem is that every now and then the Engine Management / Fault light comes on and the vehicle has pretty much no power.

It started about a month ago when it was first fired up in the morning, it would come on and go off quite a few times on my way to work, but by the time I get to the motorway (3 miles / about 10 minutes) it would be off and fine.

After a good search through the posts on this site I came to the conclusion that it could well be the MAF sensor. So I took this out, it was a bit oily so I gave it a squirt with some carb cleaner. I thought this had sorted it until this morning when it happened again, but this time it came on and off a few times but didn't sort itself out by the time I was on the M5 and it would only do about 75mph.

It has occured to me that I may not have actually done any good in the first place when I cleaned the sensor. It happened to coincide with the time the weather improved a bit and it got warmer. However this morning it is bloody cold and its bucketing down.

Has anyone got any ideas on this one??

Thanks in advance.

Joe

See less See more
#4 ·
kiwi216 said:
Most likely chafed wires shorting out in the engine bay. The ECU goes into limp home mode which will allow it to run, but with reduced power. Check wiring around the injector pump or No.1 injector (the one with wires coming out of it).
chaffed wires are very possible,dont think hes gone into limp home mode as your stuck at 1200rpm with this(found this out the hard way).

#5 ·
Does the ECU store fault codes? I've had Vauxhalls previously where you could get the EML to flash a certain number of times to identify different faults.

Do Rovers do anything similar or is it a matter of emptying your wallet on the counter of the nearest main dealer?

Cheers for the responses.

Joe

#6 ·
Hi mate, im having trobule with my engine managment system at the moment, and read on my manaul that the mechanic gave to me, that when the light comes on and off, it stores a fault code. Im having mine tested on Monday :(

Have you checked that everything is screwed down and tight, along with any possible loose connections at all, just try plugging everything in anf making sure everythings got a tight fit.

Regards

Stu C

#9 ·
I'd def check the map sensor, just remove the wiring plug and try and drive it, if you have more power than this its some type of ecu induced fueling/boost cut rather than a duff MAP sensor.

my car did this after 11 seconds on the throttle regardless of rpm and the cause was the injection angle, injectors were set to 4 deg and the pump to 18 deg. It cut the level of fueling until you let off and reapplied the acclerator.

andy

#11 ·
Is the map sensor the jobbie below the 3 relays on the bulkhead?

I unplugged the plug from this and it had the same effect.

It had a new one by the previous ownere less than 12 months back I see from the history I have with the car. I will try protecting this from water i think.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.