MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having got my 400 at the weekend my only disappointment was the lack of electric mirrors.

There are two of us that will be driving the car regularly so electric mirrors are a big advantage to us (especially as she is heavily pregnant and can't reach over).

However, the nearside mirror has been damaged in the past and as such is not particularly straight. As I will be replacing this anyway I was wondering how big a task it would be to fit electric mirrors to the car. Will the connections already be there or will I have to get the car wired up specially for them?

Cheers for any help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
wob said:
Having got my 400 at the weekend my only disappointment was the lack of electric mirrors.

There are two of us that will be driving the car regularly so electric mirrors are a big advantage to us (especially as she is heavily pregnant and can't reach over).

However, the nearside mirror has been damaged in the past and as such is not particularly straight. As I will be replacing this anyway I was wondering how big a task it would be to fit electric mirrors to the car. Will the connections already be there or will I have to get the car wired up specially for them?

Cheers for any help.
If my memory serves me right from past posts in here, in the 200s, 400s there isn't the wiring for the electric mirrors if they weren't factory standard fit.

Not much help my reply, I know...i just wanted to make you think again about letting your pregnant wife/gf/friend drive...A low impact crash would result in miscarriage (independenlty on whether she wears belt or not). Also i would suggest she gets advice from a GP about wearing a seating belt when she is a passenger in the car...my logic says it's a no no especially if she is in the last 3 months of the pregnanacy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the help with the mirrors. Does anyone know how hard (or easy) it is to fit wiring for leccy mirrors? I have done a search for this topic on the forum, but couldn't see anything.

Recommendations regarding seat belt use in pregnancy:
  • All women should wear their seat belt at all times.
  • Position the seat belt properly. This is VERY important for pregnant women. The lap portion should always been worn low -- under the belly -- and very snugly across the hips. The loads generated in a collision can be enormous. The bony hip structure is much better suited to take this load than the soft abdomen (and the baby inside). The shoulder portion should be worn correctly over the shoulder (never under) and with a snug tension. Many cars have adjustments that lower or raise the height of the shoulder belt so that it does not cut into your neck. You can also by a pad to slip on the belt in the neck area so that it isn't irritating.
  • The seat belt should be adjusted so that it is comfortable. If it fits properly you won't be tempted not to use it each time you get in the car.
Everyone should be properly buckled up in the car. Seat belts really do save lives and correct placement of the belt is very important.

She also has one of these, which she says is the most uncomfortable thing in the world, but there you go... http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18487&type=0&cat=263

She travels in a car as little as is possible, but sometimes it can't be avoided.

·
Registered
446 Posts
wob said:
She travels in a car as little as is possible, but sometimes it can't be avoided.
I didn't mean any offence...this is where I was coming from :) Only when neccesary.

I guess wiring depends on how good you are with electrics. If you think you could tackle such a job, next step is to get a wiring manual for your car, for the electric mirrors, (if you don't have Haynes...somebody here could help), two elec mirrors, wiring connectors from a scrap yard (with the mirrors) and any other related component that you may identify in the wiring diagrams (such as fuses, switch etc).

To me the task seems daunting...but I am sure somebody in here must have tried/done it and could shed some light.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
262 Posts
;) If the wiring is'nt already in the car you'll need an auto spark.Try and get a set of mirrors from a 45.They really look the part on the 400.And make sure you get the small control panel for them(its down beside the right of the steering wheel,beside the headlight adjuster)I bought a manual set for my 400,and just out of curiosity looked under the dash and the connections were all there.You might be lucky. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rover416si, no offence taken. I just like to justify my argument... Makes life more fun :)

I shall be sticking my head under the dashboard this weekend to see what I can see. I'll let you know the results - I don't think I'm confident to do the wiring myself, but I know a man who can :D

In the meantime I've got hold of a new mirror (manual one) for a fiver off ebay, so that should keep me going for now...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i do not know how

Hi I have a 416 Rover, I am from Argentina, and is a fantastic car. This is my first sight to this web site. best regards from Argentina. Hugo Wegner

·
Registered
2 Posts
heat

Hi: The Main Problem With The Rover´´s Car Is The Temperature Isn´´t It??, Two Times I Had Changed, Sorry But My English Is Poor, Ok Two Times Problems With Temperature. My Car Was Made On 1997.
But Is Very Confortable. I Driving It With Gas, I Don``t Know If There You Have Also Is Gnc (natural Gas) And The Car Is Going Like A Diesel Engine, Of Course This Take Less Power But Is Cheaper Than Gasoline. How I Can Put A Image Into This Site???
Good Luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm slightly confused. :rolleyes:

I had a shuftie to see if there's any wiring for mirros, but it doesn't look like it. So, might have to be a project for the future. I don't imagine there will be that much to the wiring? Power, ground, couple of wires for which way to move the mirror?

Anyhow. that will have to wait cos my baby is due this week :rvd::cool::hyper::beer2::bigeyes::beer::bgrin2::rocker::naughty::yikes::D:bgrin::O:eek::=p:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts