MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know when you incorporate a sound into your dream?? Well I just incorporate a very loud, repeating car horn into mine.. Until it hit me like a bullet 'CAR ALARM'.. My alarm in my 214 was goin off..
I've never had trouble with it before?? What could have caused it?? A cat?? In my slumberous state I just went into the garden, disarmed it and rearmed it and it hasn't gone off again but I've no woken up and realised it could have been a thief who managed to unlock it via the key hole but the car WAS locked when i disarmed it, I heard it unlock.. So I'm assuming it wasn't a thief.. I'll check it in the morning..
So discounting a thief.. what could have caused it?? Does this happen as a one off from time to time and should I not be too worried?? That was one loud mother.. At least now I know I'll hear it if it does get broken into!!
Should I apologise to the neighbours in the morning when they say 'Ohh, did you hear that car alarm at 3.30 this morning?' cos they probably know it was mine and are probably just wangin for an apology.. Dammit..
Anyway, I am WIDE awake now

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I just can't sleep lol, if it has shock sensors on it and there fairly sensitive, then a cat, fox, dog or similar could of set it off.

Make sure your doors, boot etc. are fully shut, if there ajar then this could set the alarm off also :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
I dont think the 214's came with the internal sensors, could be dodgy boot wiring (usualy suspect) or someone had opened one of the doors, the bonnet or boot. lock the car and check everything locks by trying to open it. you may find the boot hasnt locked and someone had tried to open it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
empsburna said:
I dont think the 214's came with the internal sensors, could be dodgy boot wiring (usualy suspect) or someone had opened one of the doors, the bonnet or boot. lock the car and check everything locks by trying to open it. you may find the boot hasnt locked and someone had tried to open it.
iirc you cant open the hatch boot without key or the bit next to the drivers seat.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kenny said:
iirc you cant open the hatch boot without key or the bit next to the drivers seat.
No u can open the boot without the key if it's not locked.. it's a mk3 200, i think it's the mk2's that u need to pop the boot...

ANYWAY! Just checked it, nothing's gone missing, I live in a nice area and admidedly I get a bit complacent, I had left my wallet and Oakley shades in view but they were still there this morning.. The alarm's never gone off itself before and I've had it 2 and a half years so I'm wondering if maybe someone did try and break in..

Oh, and it's got the earlier model of the alarm, the one that doesn't flash the hazards when u lock it, and it doesn't have motion sensors.. Infact I think the only thing that triggers it is if the doors are unlocked by any others means that the zapper.. The doors were locked when I got to it to silence the alarm cos I heard them unlock, but I guess if someone tried to unlock the boot then that wouldn't unlock any other doors would it!? The passenger door has no key hole.. Erm, I'll check the window seals a little later to see if anyone has been trying to get coat hangers in..

Any other faults that could have caused it??

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
214 Si Mod'd said:
I just can't sleep lol, if it has shock sensors on it and there fairly sensitive, then a cat, fox, dog or similar could of set it off.

Make sure your doors, boot etc. are fully shut, if there ajar then this could set the alarm off also :)
Fellow insomniac!! Man I just been lookin at your crash pics, scary stuff!! But the damage has to go somewhere doesn't it!? Better goin on ur front end than in the cabin.. Tho I have to say I'm impressed at the way it seems to have taken and distrubuted the impact for what is a fairly old design of car.. I had a crash like 5 yrs ago when I first started driving, someone went up the back of me, I was in an old Volvo 240 estate so was perfectly safe, took me a long time to get my confidence back.. Tho that might of been due to my inexperience.. How ru finding driving now?? if u dont mind me askin, I'm lucky enough to have never been in a serious accident.
Anyway, probably be on here at stupid o'clock tomora when my alarm goes off again... God I hope not..

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Check all of the door switches. remove them all and give them a good dose of WD 40 or similar. These are the most common cause of random alarm problems. Also check the boot wiring if it is a bubble.

·
Registered
other_rover
226 Posts
My alarm goes off when a cetrain plane (old turbo-prop thing) flies overhead .. every bloody morning at the same time! :banghead: least i stay a wee bit away from my neighbours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hearing the lock unlocking doesn't mean that it was locked it makes the same sound whether the locks open or not i have had this problem the past few days.

I lock the car and a few seconds later sometimes minutes it unlocks itself, but sometimes the alarm goes off random time etc.

Driving me mad that i cant lock the car all the time :/

Sofa

www.phookaentertainment.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
found out what the problem was, one of the chips had come loose in the keyfob resoldered it to the board works grand now and no more unlocking/locking randomly :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts