MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a second service, car is still going well showing an overall average of 36.1 MPG this is slightly down from last year and is probably more down to me using more of its performance and regularly being stuck in traffic on the M25.

I’ve had a couple of minor issues, the parking sensors stopped working although the camera was ok, this has now been fixed under warranty and the steering clunk has returned. It’s not as bad as the last time, yet, which was fixed under warranty but they can’t seem to reproduce it when I take it in. I have noticed that B+G sell a shaft assembly under their steering spares for the GS, there’s no picture so I not sure if this is the same item but if it is it’s bit suspicious they should be selling these.

On the plus side the tyres are only showing minimal wear and should be good for at least another 20k at this rate and the body and interior is as good as new (as you probably expect with only 30K on the clock)

The Satnav continues to work well but I think it’s probably due an update, the only observations being, friends have remarked the voice is a bit stern which I can’t say I’d noticed, some of the directions continue to amuse me, “keep straight on after the Salvation Army and turn right after Boots” being some of them and I think it’s got a slight northern accent, instead of saying “at the end of the road” it say “at end of tut road”.

The thing that did surprise me was the cost of the service, over £500. No one item was very expensive there were just lots of them. I’d expected oil and filter, air and fuel filters and even the pollen filter wasn’t unexpected but the plugs were changed at £77 for 4!!! And the brake fluid was changed.

I’m only glad I didn’t ask them to change the wiper blades as B+G (not the garage doing the service) want £30.20 for each of the front blades and £19.04 for the rear one, £79.44 for 3 wiper blades!!! I know people will say you can get them much cheaper on ebay but they’re no name brands and having had issues with poor water clearing and windscreen scratches with cheap wipers I’m a bit dubious. I haven’t changed them yet as they still working reasonably well and I’m looking at alternatives, the drivers one is an odd size at 23 inches and the end fixings are also strange.

I still think it offers excellent value for money, it’s got plenty of interior space the seats are comfortable helped by the electric adjustment, I regularly see 40+MPG for a journey which gives about 400 miles range on a tank (which could usefully be bigger). 5 years Interest free and 5 years warranty, I’m surprised there aren’t more on the roads.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Does seem expensive when missis had full service done on her KIA at the dealer (oil/filter, air filter, pollen filter, brake fluid and coolant change) was £360 and luckily the reverse camera and brake light switch were covered by warranty

·
Registered
294 Posts
My second service was £375. Had my parking sensors changed once every year now and both times after the horrid winter months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts