MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bob the Brit
mg_zs
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I thought I'd share a few thoughts after 2,000 miles in my ZS Exclusive 1 litre automatic.

I took delivery on November 2nd, so I'm hardly a heavy driver, she clocked over 2k today.

My previous cars have been more powerful (most recently I had a Mini Cooper convertible and a 180K C Class Merc). While the MG ZS is not the most powerful car on the road, the 998 turbo pulls a large body reasonably well, and there's enough power in reserve if required.

There is a flat spot at around 70mph, but she cruises well.

Fuel consumption is okay, I mostly do short runs, often in traffic. On a longish run, 120 miles return with two up and baggage I returned 40.9MPG, the overall consumption, from mile one is low thirties but, as I've said elsewhere, the MG ZS has the aerodynamics of a shed.

It is undeniably roomy inside, although I struggled to get two medium suitcases in the boot with the shelf in place, even with the floor at its lowest level.

I fitted a centre console (the cheap one without additional USB ports) forty quid on eBay, five minute job and no regrets. I'm tempted to fit an electric boot opener if I can find someone to fit it.

I am hoping that somebody from one of the various MG organisations will be monitoring sites like this, so I offer a few constructive suggestions:

1. An outside temperature sensor would be useful, and wouldn't cost much to deploy.
  2. Similarly, the lack of a light in the rear passenger space is a bit short sighted.
  3. And maybe a power socket in the luggage compartment.
  4. Please do something about the horn, I don't use mine often, but when I do it's frankly embarrassing, like Noddy's car (for non Brits, look it up)
Those additional costs would probably not be much more than twenty quid at factory prices.

That said, I'm generally happy, she looks cool and runs well.

2k in and so far, so good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congratulations!

I got my "thundertank" (some kind of truck/car in a 80¨cartoons, The thundercats) since december, with just 1000 miles... and I love it.

And I agree 100% with your comments, and add one... I would have put a slightly brighter light in the cabin. The one that brings from factory, is missing a little..

My tank looks similar to yours, but this is 1.5 NSE Plus petrol, Standard version.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hi Guys, I thought I'd share a few thoughts after 2,000 miles in my ZS Exclusive 1 litre automatic.

I took delivery on November 2nd, so I'm hardly a heavy driver, she clocked over 2k today.

My previous cars have been more powerful (most recently I had a Mini Cooper convertible and a 180K C Class Merc). While the MG ZS is not the most powerful car on the road, the 998 turbo pulls a large body reasonably well, and there's enough power in reserve if required.

There is a flat spot at around 70mph, but she cruises well.

Fuel consumption is okay, I mostly do short runs, often in traffic. On a longish run, 120 miles return with two up and baggage I returned 40.9MPG, the overall consumption, from mile one is low thirties but, as I've said elsewhere, the MG ZS has the aerodynamics of a shed.

It is undeniably roomy inside, although I struggled to get two medium suitcases in the boot with the shelf in place, even with the floor at its lowest level.

I fitted a centre console (the cheap one without additional USB ports) forty quid on eBay, five minute job and no regrets. I'm tempted to fit an electric boot opener if I can find someone to fit it.

I am hoping that somebody from one of the various MG organisations will be monitoring sites like this, so I offer a few constructive suggestions:

1. An outside temperature sensor would be useful, and wouldn't cost much to deploy.
  2. Similarly, the lack of a light in the rear passenger space is a bit short sighted.
  3. And maybe a power socket in the luggage compartment.
  4. Please do something about the horn, I don't use mine often, but when I do it's frankly embarrassing, like Noddy's car (for non Brits, look it up)
Those additional costs would probably not be much more than twenty quid at factory prices.

That said, I'm generally happy, she looks cool and runs well.

2k in and so far, so good. View attachment 134573
Hi Bob,

Do you notice the gasoline particulate filter regen kicking in on your car or did you buy it just before it was mandated?

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't know, maybe that's the 70mph flat spot.
It could be, it would be interesting to see from other owners of the same model to come and advised when their GPF incorporated cars kick in with the regen.

i know that my own 18 reg 1.5 litre ZS Exclusive used to have a flat spot in 2nd gear at around 2000 RPM when the engine was very cold but this was eventually resolved with a second ECU update. As a bonus, the engine no longer becomes power-less when I have the aircon switched on which used to cause me to have to downshift a lot just to keep the momentum going.

Cheers..

·
Registered
other_mg
33 Posts
My Zs 1.5 manual has taken to kangarooing down the road when cold, only thing to stop it is to STOP, switch off, wait, then floor it when pulling away. It's fine when warmed up, but there is no way on this earth that I am going to buy another, and with the Pilot Centre up above the rear view mirror (which is set about mid screen) in the HS, I think that a HS is not going to be for me. It has mostly done what I have bought it for, but reading about MG Motors attitude to some peoples ongoing problems has made me hesitate about another.
Shame as my servicing dealer try their best.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My Zs 1.5 manual has taken to kangarooing down the road when cold, only thing to stop it is to STOP, switch off, wait, then floor it when pulling away. It's fine when warmed up, but there is no way on this earth that I am going to buy another, and with the Pilot Centre up above the rear view mirror (which is set about mid screen) in the HS, I think that a HS is not going to be for me. It has mostly done what I have bought it for, but reading about MG Motors attitude to some peoples ongoing problems has made me hesitate about another.
Shame as my servicing dealer try their best.
It does feel that the cars are under-developed and this is coming from an MG owner.

Things that I had in my old Seat Ibiza like height adjstable seatbealts isn't even available on the Exclusive.

They do seem to have their work cut out as since SAIC got rid of Longbridge, the cars have been winter tested by outside companies like Magna Steyr of Austria and maybe things aren't being caught during this phase.

I was very surprised that MG Motor UK could release a car which has an engine which cuts out suddenly without warning, but having experienced itself myself on many occasions prior to being finally fixed, it is not something that I would like to experience again.

Cheers..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts