MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey peeps,

can someone settle this little argument between me and chris_dpg:

am i right in thinking that at the moment there are NO pattern'd alternatives available other than the original OE ones from mgr them selves????

cheers, simon

p.s. with the exception of the altered originals from steve B

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
currently there are not any avaiable, lots of places advertise the EBC ones, but I have phoned them and they admit, they are not available at the moment

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
they won't sell them. They're not entitled to.

there is an alternative to the mg-rover ones. Honda 'BB4' Prelude disks. 282mm ones. Then get them re-drilled for the right PCD by a local engineering company. Saves yourself a bob or 2.
Steve

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Have you seen teh price of Honda parts...?

Prelude ones are only 23mm wide though. Also could use the Integra ones and the ones from a Mb6 Civic VTI-s

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what sort of money are the integra ones jonny???

suppose it offeres the option of after market disc's (drilled and vented etc)

they the 25mm thickness ones???

i don't think i could use 23mm as i have managed to warp a set of 25mm zs180 ones on me vi with a bit enthousiastic driving :twak2:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Actually avoid the teg ones, there 5 stud.

You havent warped the ZS ones either. You simply used the wrong pads and the ZS disks well and truely saw to baking the pads to leave cermatite deposits on the disk as the pad material gets 'own3d'.

I never warped mine at donnington after 12 laps. I had proper pads for the application though.

YOur disks are vented away, you dont get that option from going aftermarket and drilled offers NOTHING to road cars. Its just for race cars and reducing unsprung mass.

Theres far too many myths floating about regarding brakes. Warping them is a common one.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
wasnt there another thread not long back saying about this, that cermatite deposits on the disc, cause the 'judder' effect when braking and makes the driver seem to believe his discs are screwed

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahhh so if i cleaned up the surface of the disc you think that would sort it :)

worth a shot for nothing i suppsose :D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ice D said:
yes because it is actually quite hard to warp a disc, get better pads though ;)

there direct ones :O :boxedin: :lol:

i was skint at the time, what pads you lot recomend????

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Si said:
hey peeps,

can someone settle this little argument between me and chris_dpg:

am i right in thinking that at the moment there are NO pattern'd alternatives available other than the original OE ones from mgr them selves????

cheers, simon

p.s. with the exception of the altered originals from steve B
Yes there is if you know where to come ;)

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
282mm discs

these will be available from www.brakes4u.co.uk as from the end of next week just placed my order there they will have all Rover discs hopefully they are taking names now as to whom wants what as it is a first come first serve basis

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
This company seems to have discs for just about everything

http://www.brake-eng.com/

The discs for ZS 180 are listed. I do not think they do mail order but they will probably tell you your local stockist. I know that Car spares in Birmingham carry their range

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it seems the pattern for the disc' have been released as ebc are starting to manufacture the disc's aswell :)

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
brake-eng have had them listed for a very long time, but always out of stock. EBC have also had them listed IIRC and again couldn't supply them.

I guess it depends if it was MGR or Xparts that were stopping them being made as paten parts.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts