MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only get around 25 mpg, averaging about 35mph daily doing urban (kind of) driving.

Not too much stopping & starting, I brake smoothly in plenty of time & change up gears before or on 2k revs (mainly). Only ever me & 1 other person in the car.

Is this poor, or to be expected of a car with 111k on the clock?

I know load, poorly inflated tyres, roof racks can all affect mpg - what should I look at next?

Cheers for any help in advance

PROUD TO HAVE A ROVER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
Mackinnon said:
I can only get around 25 mpg, averaging about 35mph daily doing urban (kind of) driving.

Not too much stopping & starting, I brake smoothly in plenty of time & change up gears before or on 2k revs (mainly). Only ever me & 1 other person in the car.

Is this poor, or to be expected of a car with 111k on the clock?

I know load, poorly inflated tyres, roof racks can all affect mpg - what should I look at next?

Cheers for any help in advance

PROUD TO HAVE A ROVER
I've got a 1995 414 and tend to get around 35-37mpg (around 340-360 miles out of a tank) and I've done 108,000 miles.... I would have expected more than 25mpg ..... how are you coming to this figure? Lots of small journey will kill fuel consumption....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CRNeo said:
I've got a 1995 414 and tend to get around 35-37mpg (around 340-360 miles out of a tank) and I've done 108,000 miles.... I would have expected more than 25mpg ..... how are you coming to this figure? Lots of small journey will kill fuel consumption....
I drive the missus to her work & pick her up again M-F, doing about 27 miles a day.

The figure is a rough one: I waited till the fuel gauge was at red then filled it to the half way mark (6 gallons), then reset my milo. It's done 150 miles since & the needle's back to red.

Even if I take into consideration that some of the tanks capacity is represented BEYOND the red line, at best it still only gives me 27mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Hmm

That does seem high, ive got a "420 GSI, 94" and i get roughly the same, and i tend to have a heavy foot, and brake hard. :devil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I get somewhere around 40mpg from mine on average.
Are you basing the calculation on having used half a tank or on the ammount of fuel you put in? There is plenty of fuel in the tank below the red line, and the gauge is never linear, its just a guide.
Best way to check would be to fill up and reset the odometer, then compare the miles you get to the amount of fuel you put back in next time to refill. Preferably averaged over several fill ups.
If you really do get less than 30mpg from gentle driving i'd suggest getting it checked out. I can get that with a car load of people and kayaks on the roofrack.

Will
 
G

·
Mackinnon said:
The figure is a rough one: I waited till the fuel gauge was at red then filled it to the half way mark (6 gallons), then reset my milo. It's done 150 miles since & the needle's back to red.
The only accurate way to check consumption is to do a brim to brim check. Averaging out over a couple of tankfulls would be even better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,606 Posts
My 93 Rover 214 with 111k on it gets somewhere between 35-40mpg . If the fuel economy is that bad I'd suspect that the ECU coolant temperature sensor is duff or the lambda sensor is. Does the car warm up properly and the temp sit on the middle of the gauge all the time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
E_T_V said:
My 93 Rover 214 with 111k on it gets somewhere between 35-40mpg . If the fuel economy is that bad I'd suspect that the ECU coolant temperature sensor is duff or the lambda sensor is. Does the car warm up properly and the temp sit on the middle of the gauge all the time?
The temp needle, once engine warmed up, always sits dead centre.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,606 Posts
Ok so it isn't a duff thermostat then.. What is the idle speed wen the engine is warm? It should be about 800rpm. If it is over 1000 then I'd suspect a dead coolant temperature sensor (meaning the "choke" is on all the time).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
E_T_V said:
Ok so it isn't a duff thermostat then.. What is the idle speed wen the engine is warm? It should be about 800rpm. If it is over 1000 then I'd suspect a dead coolant temperature sensor (meaning the "choke" is on all the time).
It idles as it should when warm, so the mystery goes on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,606 Posts
Ok, has it passed an emissions test lately?
Also check the lambda sensor is functioning correctly. (You'll need a digital multimeter)
Get the car good and warm and then probe the wires of the lambra sensor for voltage (with the plug still conencted). It should swing from about 0.7v to 0.3v about once or twice a second. If it doesn't or it swings too slowly then it could be that the sensor is tired or dead.


I think the wires to probe are the black ones but someone will be along to give you the definitave answer or do a forum search on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
E_T_V said:
Ok, has it passed an emissions test lately?
Also check the lambda sensor is functioning correctly. (You'll need a digital multimeter)
Get the car good and warm and then probe the wires of the lambra sensor for voltage (with the plug still conencted). It should swing from about 0.7v to 0.3v about once or twice a second. If it doesn't or it swings too slowly then it could be that the sensor is tired or dead.


I think the wires to probe are the black ones but someone will be along to give you the definitave answer or do a forum search on it.
Cheers for your help. Much appreciated. I'm kind of glad my first car has only cost £300, as I'm learning a lot of stuff I wouldn't have with a new car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,309 Posts
If the engine is sweet and running ok (check oil (right grade - 10w40, only 6 months / 6000 miles old), plugs (right gap - 0.8mm, from memory) and air filter (should look 'clean')), then look at binding brakes. Jack up each wheel and make sure they can turn freely.

Its also worth rocking the wheels both up and down, left and right to see if there is a lot of free play. If there is, suspect wheel bearings. Unlikely to effect MPG though (going back to original post!). but if there is lots of play, it will need to be sorted.

Hope this helps!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
i have a honda engined 416sli, and my journeys are usually 6miles long, although twice a week i have to drive a mile to work (would walk but roads too dodgy) and with mainly 2500rpm change ups and gentle use of the throttle and the odd bit of hard driveing i get 33mpg. On my last tank i did some longer journeys and didnt go to work because i had time off and i got 39mpg from that tankfull with no difference in driveing style. Just goes to show how short trips kill fuel economy.My uncle has a 214 and he said he gets 38mpg on journeys usually less than 10miles and 45mpg on longer ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
ok ive added this on cause its the same subject

I may be being really thick here but im having difficultly working out how far i can travel on one talk full.
Im getting about 30mpg in my BRM and the tanks 40 gallons ?? oh god im confused

Can any one help??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Ive got a rover 400 2 litre injected i fill it to the top ,and when the petrol light comes on ive done about 270 miles, thats with half motoway driving and half town driving,i suppose i could get a small car, but i like the comforts of quite a large car and some power under my foot,wifes got citren saxo 1.1 litre and when i get in ,theres no room in it, and no power but, it does 40 to gallon round town,after driving my rover i think the citren is a bag crap.
on the nose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,606 Posts
40 gallon tank.. my god that would be huge!

To work out fuel economy. Fill you tank completely to the top. then zero the trip meter. Drive round as usual till the tank is as empty as you dare. Then fill up the tank and recorc the number of mles travelled and the number of litres needed to fill the tank to the top.
Divide number of miles travelled by number of litres
Multiply this figure by 4.55 to get a miles per gallon figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,606 Posts
If you have a 40 litre usable tank (before the light comes on), then 40 litres will take you 263 miles if you are doing 30mpg (which is a bit poor)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan Coupe said:
If the engine is sweet and running ok (check oil (right grade - 10w40, only 6 months / 6000 miles old), plugs (right gap - 0.8mm, from memory) and air filter (should look 'clean')), then look at binding brakes. Jack up each wheel and make sure they can turn freely.

Its also worth rocking the wheels both up and down, left and right to see if there is a lot of free play. If there is, suspect wheel bearings. Unlikely to effect MPG though (going back to original post!). but if there is lots of play, it will need to be sorted.

Hope this helps!!!
Aha! Sometimes I have been getting "whistling" noises which from this forum I identified as possible binding brakes. So that would make sense, as the engine seems sweet to me.

Am away to jack it up & check. I should have looked at it earlier.

Thanks for that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
on the nose said:
Ive got a rover 400 2 litre injected i fill it to the top ,and when the petrol light comes on ive done about 270 miles, thats with half motoway driving and half town driving,i suppose i could get a small car, but i like the comforts of quite a large car and some power under my foot,wifes got citren saxo 1.1 litre and when i get in ,theres no room in it, and no power but, it does 40 to gallon round town,after driving my rover i think the citren is a bag crap.
on the nose.
OH forgot to say 3 sets of ladders on as well,for work.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top