MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been told that the differential in my gear box has 'broken up' and that this is quite a common rover problem. I've done less than 60k miles which seems short for a gearbox life. To get it reconditioned and all sorted is over £700 and thats not at a dealer. Anyone heard of this before? If its a 'common Rover' problem is it worth trying to get them to cover some of the costs??

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
not heard of it before - sounds like someone is on the fleece

I recently paid £250 for a rover 45 1.6 gearbox (same as yours effectivly) fitting costs less than the labour charge for a clutch. but while its off - might aswell have the clutch done.

ok so you dont get much of a warrenty - but would you rather have a gearbox that hasn't been messed with since it left the factory - or one which someone (not trained by rover) has taken apart and put back together again?

never heard of it before on the R65 box - yours will have the R65 uprated box too - what are the symptoms? if the gearbox is broken then get a replacement from a breaker - dont pay silly money to have it fixed.

if you cant find a 1.6 box then a 1.4 box will fit and work - if anything car will accelerate faster with 1.4 box - just have slightly higher crusing rpm.

first of all find a different garage!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts