MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Driving my car down the M1 this evening at about 80ish and it stuttered for half a second or a bit more. When i looked in the driver mirror there was a fair bit of greyish smoke at the rear of the car. The car carried on running and I drove for about half a mile at 70ish until I thought I better pull over and make sure the oil isn't low or pouring out. I had a look around but couldn't spot a thing. Started the car again and it ticked over fine.

I drove another 20miles before getting home and it didn't miss a beat.

Any idea's what could cause the car to stutter like that and why the smoke ?

The car has done 152K, has recently had all the belts changed. The oil has been in there about 3k as has the air filter. Fuel filter has done about 12k or maybe a little more.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
rover_45
49 Posts
same stutter

Sorry, I can't help you, but I would be interested in any answers people out there may have, as the same thing happens with my 620 TD - a momentary blip/stutter and then everything as normal.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Try disconnecting the EGR vaccum supply and plugging the pipe. If the valve sticks open you'll get power loss and excessive black smoke.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I should make it clear that the smoke only came out of the car when it stuttered, it normally doesn't smoke.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yes, the EGR valve only opens and closes when you are at cruising revs. If it sticks open then you get loss of power and smoke whilst it is stuck open.

Also remove the engine cover and check that the wire to number 1 injector isn't frayed or shorting out on the engine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for that. I'll check it out tonight if I get chance. By luck I noticed the local scrappy has just taken delivery of a SDI which has been in a rear end shunt so I might grab a few things of it such as the hoses and a few of the sensors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts