MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my A.B.S. has stopped working and the light is on the dash as amy body had this problem and any idea of cost to fix it. Ive just had a son so money is abit tight any ideas would be helpful thanks.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,908 Posts
Search here or over on Rovertech.net for the way to activate and obtain the fault codes. The codes will identify which area the fault is located. I did this with my 220 Coupe Turbo and it identified that the front nearside sensor was faulty. The fault occurred shortly after a gearbox rebuild so I guess the sensor was damaged during that process. It was fine before the gearbox work.

I used a MultiMeter to test the continuity of the faulty sensor by disconnecting the sensor cable connection near the front suspension turrent under the bonnet. I then touched the multimeter's two terminals to the connection which runs to the front wheel sensor. Nil continuity reading unlike the result on the other side for comparison.

I then visited a local breakers and carefully removed a front nearside sensor from a normally aspirated 420 with ABS having first used the multimeter to check it's continuity before removal. Identical item so carefully used it to replace the faulty sensor on my car - turned on ignition and was relieved to observe the ABS check light extinguish after a second or so.

Result at minimal cost ... just time.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
yeah the shortcut to diagnosing the ABS fault involves unplugging the multiplug under the driver's seat, then shorting the two black wires with a paperclip or similar, turning the ignition on will then start the abs light flashing a specific code which leads to a certain part of the ABS system

the only problem that I had with all of this, is that it didnt work for me :( may have to try some different bits of wire to see if my paperclip was on the fritz :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts