MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 220 coupe at mo, but also looking to buy a 220 diesel bubble shape. Dont know much about them, i take it they are good on fuel ? Whats the performance like ? And are all the engines the same output ? Anything to look out for when buying ?

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Cheaper model is the SD which is only 84BHP.

The SD is only Group 5 insurance, SDi is group 8 i believe. Both do 50mpg with little effort. SD is quite slow, SDi rapid! My engine is the SDi one, so you can see all the pipes near the front of the engine bay. An SD won't have these....

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Hi, yeah the 200 diesels are quite a nice car, in either the intercooled version or not.

There are 3 variants, the 220D - which is the basic spec of the range with the 84bhp non intercooled turbo diesel engine

Then theres the 220SD which comes with R/C/L, and usually leccy sunroof, again with the same engine as the 220D

Then theres the 220SDi, the top of the diesel range in the 200, with electric windows, sunroof and R/C/L and optional alloy wheels. This comes with the 105BHP intercooled turbo diesel engine.

The non intercooled is quite a pokey engine, and you can uprate the boost on it manually by the turn of a screw, which will again give it a bit more oomph.
But the SDi version is a bit more refined and will give better top speed and acceleration compared to the non intercooled.

The fuel consumption is great if you dont have your led boots on very often :lol: Keep them at a good 65/70mph for a long trip and you will see very good mpg!

Just remember the usuall stuff when looking at a car, but also check for huge clouds of black smoke on start up, if it goes away instantly then no problem, but if lingers, could be its not had a good "run" or its on the way out.

HTH mate :)

Regards

Stu C

·
Registered
11 Posts
not as good

the 220 td for some reason does not seem to go as well as the older 218 td but they r still pretty good i have just sold a 420 td and they seem to be more than happy with it. I would say you should either look for a mint 218 td or just go for a 220 but be carefull with the water

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hello there,
I think the Rover 200 diesels have actually been the pick of the Rover bunch over the last few years, my family all love them we've got through 4 or so L series powered cars.
The Rover 220/200 diesel series consist of:
an 84bhp non intercooled model denoted by D
or the 103bhp intercooled model denoted by Di
The S denotes a trim level e.g. SD or SDi have rcl and sunroof
You can also tell the engines apart by the intercooler at the front of the engine bay which obviously isn't there on the D units.

The 84bhp engine aint all that bad for what it is, it certainly doesn't feel breathless or anything, smooth and easy through the revs, plenty of pull and easy to drive but not that quick: it's one of those cars that's deceptively slow, it feels a whole lot faster than it is because of the torque. The Di/SDi 200s are really quite rapid even without the Tunit box I've got stuck on mine about on a par with the 216 through the gears but much quicker in everyday use, particularly pokey in-gear and can pull with virtually anything between 30-90mph. They've got decent enough handling, my fuel economy has averaged at 53mpg driving on a variety of mixed roads, about 60mpg ish on the motorway for the past 18 months. No matter how much I drive like a plonker it's never dipped below 50mpg. It is quite noisy at idle, but once over 1000rpm the engine smooths out and it's easily as refined as a lot of more modern diesels, notably VAG units which are in my opinion far noisier than my 200. It pulls nice and smoothly through the rev range, although without the Tunit box and decat pipe on mine it was a little peaky, delivering it's power almost exclusively between 2200 and 3600rpm. It takes a little getting used to driving in the rev range as it were, but a knocking the cat out makes a huge difference to low end pull.

The L series is a nice robust unit, can run 200,000+miles easy with regular servicing, and the 200 dervs have a reputation for reliability. Things to look out for engine wise are just the standard really: FSH is preferable, the engine should start with a minimum of fuss (excepting dead battery etc), no clouds of black smoke once warmed up, it shouldn't be noisy or vibrating a lot (for a diesel!) over 1500rpm, look out for cracks or splits in the hoses, has the cambelt been changed, all that jazz. Check that the car pulls straight at speed, if it's not the tyres/tracking it may be that the chassis is knocked out of alignment, I have heard from several sources that the 200 can be bent out of shape at the front even by a harsh kerbing. This is obviously dangerous and expensive to fix. General standard of the car: has it been well looked after? Reason for sale?

Don't be put off by high milers, the L series isn't even run in for a good 80,000 miles so the previous owners will have done you a favour by running up the miles. There a lot of good deals on Rover dervs, my 1998 200 Di with 105,000 miles on the clock cost £1,100 from Castle Bromwich car auctions, my dad's employee just got a 1997 220 SDi with 126,000 miles for £995, my brothers 1996 220 SDi with 60,000 miles was £1000 2 years ago as a flood damaged write off etc etc. All in all I've really enjoyed by 220 Di, both for it's ease of use (e.g. excellent fuel economy, cheap running costs and reliability) but also as a driver's car (very quick in gear, nippy as standard and positively rapid with a tunit box on).
Good luck finding your motor,
Tom

·
Registered
266 Posts
the 220 td for some reason does not seem to go as well as the older 218 td
Find this hard to believe - stock figures for the 218 TD are 88bhp, the Di is 105bhp. I doubt there is that much weight difference between them. As I understand it the Honda Conerto bodied 200s have slightly detuned Peugeot diesels in them similar to those found in the old 306 DTurbo, and are not direct injection (?). I don't find any trouble despatching boy racers in 306 DTurbos in my Di, although there are some tuned up models knocking around Worcestershire that are on a par with my 200 with Tunit box. If you're going down the road of getting a Pug diesel engined motor, might as well get a decent 306 which have far more competent handling than any diesel Rover.

I would honestly go for the Rover L series engined 200 as these definitely are direct injection ( easier to start, more efficient and thus better MPG), very reliable, parts are extremely easy to get hold of and a well looked after L series has been known to hit the 250-300,000 mile mark, plus there are more deals around for them than you can shake a stick at.

Looked up on Parkers - not the most accurate but they give a good idea.
Pug 306 1.9 DTurbo 90bhp = 13.3 secs 0-60
Rover 220 SDi 105bhp = 9.9 secs 0-60

A clear 3.4 seconds clear!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts